Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_junkie

I dont think this is a Rhipsalis ID Help

plant_junkie
14 years ago

The tag said Rhipsalis eliptica, but image searchs showed nothing similar. My intial thought was a Stapelia, maybe a gigantae. I dont know. It does have lots of spines on it running down the length of each arm, and it also breaks easily, apparently. Lets just say Ill have plenty more of these guys :)

Any ID help would be super awesome and growing tips would be much appreciated.

{{gwi:480216}}

Comments (14)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I don't think it is a succulent because it has glochids. Norma

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe Rhipsalis cruciforme. Anyone confirm?

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Or is it more correctly called Lepismium cruciforme?

• tjicken
    14 years ago

Lepismium cruciforme is better, but not for this plant :-). It is a plant that I have seen debated before, and people generally agree that it is a Selenicereus, but whether it is a S. testudo or a S. validus or a hybrid remains unclear.

• ks_girl
    14 years ago

Selenicereus testudo - aka Deamia Informacia (common name Dogtail cactus)
    This is the name agreed on when this was asked on another forum.

• paulzie32
    14 years ago

Yes, it is Selenicereus testudo, AKA Dogtail Cactus.
    It's one of my favorite (kid friendly) cactus as it's relatively soft to the touch. It also grows fairly quickly, filling pots and making nice hanging plants.
    Don't expect flowers though as from what I can find, this is the juvenile form of the plant. The Adult form is quite a bit larger and also not as "user friendly".

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The flowers look wonderful. I figured I wasnt going to get blooms for a long while down the road. Should I leave it in its existing pot to encourage it to bloom or should I put it in a larger terracotta? This is an epi right? I have a little greenhouse shelving unit that has a plastic cover. Would this be an appropriate place to keep the little fella?

Thank you so much guys. This plant is going to make it on my favorites list for sure :)

Steve

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

Well shoot! I was just on the Shoal Creek Succulents site this morning and ordered a Mammillaria matudae and looked at these Selenicereus testudo. I think they had two different ones, dogtail and perhaps Golden Dog Tail? I can't remember now. NOW I am wishing I'd have ordered it!!!! Urgh. I really wanted the Mammillaria badly and was looking around for something else to order with it. I guess I learned to go with my gut instinct now!

Its beautiful PlantJunkie!

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

Errr now I am really blushing here. I have to come back and tell you it wasn't a dog tail cactus I looked at.
    It was 2 cleisocactus!

Darn these things are confusing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mistaken identity for me! Sorry

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I've been there and done that. I've been wrong several times. Nodakgal, I forgive you, if you will forgive me for every mistake that I have made. Norma

• tjicken
    14 years ago

> This is an epi right?

It is an epiphyte, yes.
    I don't know much about its care, I used it occasionally as a grafting stock several years ago, but I never tried to grow it to a big plant.

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stelenicereus testudo looks like a great match to me. The only conflict I have is that this is an angel exotics plant. I went to their website to find better care tips for it but was surprised to see that they did not list it as a plant they grow. I checked a few of the synonyms as well and did not surface any results. My only thought is that they dont have all the plants listed or perhaps the ID may be off. I am more than happy to settle with the Selenicereus testudo ID but I would hate to be caring for it like steleni but its not that. Maybe it is, thats what Ill treat it like until I have further confirmed it. Thank you for all your help!! :)

Steve

• paulzie32
    14 years ago

Here's a link to an earlier post (titled "please help ID...). This person also bought an Exotic Angel plant.

And this link is on a discussion about the Dogtail cactus - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0822111610089.html?18

Here is a link that might be useful: Please Help ID my new dog tail cactus

• tjicken
    14 years ago

As seen in the linked thread, Exotic Angel has sold this cactus as an Aporocactus which means that they have no idea about what it is. I would not trust advice from them about this plant even if they had given any.