Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jack_san_diego

Aloe Starting to Bloom

jack_san_diego
18 years ago

{{gwi:481356}}
Happy New Year!

I suspect most collectors have friends and family who provide gifts of cacti and succulents as gifts.

Here is a picture of an Aloe I received as a Get Well gift from friends at work just over a year ago.

It was in a 3" red pail when I got it. Today it is a bit larger :) There was no label on the plant so I never knew exactly what kind of Aloe it was.

Today I noticed the plant is putting out it's first bloom. Once I know the color of the bloom I will be able to narrow the choices of Aloes.

I could also ask this group....So, anybody know what kind of Aloe this is?

Happy Collecting,

Jack

Comments (18)

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

I would say that there's about a 95% chance that it is Aloe vera - or known by its other name, A. barbadensis. That's what most mass-marketers would put into "novelty" gift pots, since it's easy to grow and widely available.

flower color won't really help, since a. vera comes in both yellow and orange forms, yellow being the more common.

• borrego
    18 years ago

I wish to respectfully disagree with Patrick in regards to yellow being the more common flower color of aloe vera. I believe orange is the common flower color. 95% of what I see in flower is orange. I give orange flowering aloe veras away. I do agree with his identification of the above aloe, though. Impressive growth for just over a year. All ready offsetting as well.

• fouquieria
    18 years ago

Welcome Patrick,

I see you just joined. Here is a pic of part of YOUR garden that I took from a few years back.

-Ron-

{{gwi:481359}}

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Hi, Ron! What a surprise to see a photo of my own place on here. If I could figure out how to post a photo, I'd show you what this same view looks like now - VERY different!

The pictures of your own garden are fantastic. I was there with R&B many, many years ago - it's grown in wonderfully.

In spite of all the recent grumbling, I think I'm going to enjoy the forum.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

First, I hope all of the above posters join me at the monthly meeting of the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society tomorrow at Balboa Park. There are some dyed-in-the-wool Aloe nuts there.

Jack, I think you've got the true Aloe vera there - nice lloking plant, and a little surprising to see it's spike so soon - I' would have thought next month, but with the weather we're getting, all bets are off.

Borrego,

The true Aloe vera, like many of its cousins on the Arabian peniinsula, has yellow flowers. There are a number of Aloe vera hybrids, one of them going around with the name of Aloe vera chinensis, that have orange flowers, but the true one is pure lemon yellow.

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

Jeff, you're right about all bets being off. This has been a really early season for aloe bloom. My garden usually "peaks" in late January, but many of mine are already finishing.

I'd love to attend the SDCSS meeting - I've never been to one - but I'm supposed to have 100 people coming to see my garden on Sunday (weather permitting), so I'll be kind of busy tomorrow. It would be nice to meet some other local aloe-philes.

And thanks for backing me up on Aloe vera color. Borrego and I have had a friendly disagreement about this before; it's nice to have someone else weigh in. Healthy discussion is what makes these forums interesting!

• borrego
    18 years ago

A more accurate statement on my behalf should have been 95% of what I see must be aloe vera hybrids because they flower orange. I was aware true aloe vera flowers yellow, I just don't see that much of it. I do have 7 large aloe veras that flower yellow. The topic of true aloe vera was recently covered in a yahoo forum. However, when an esteemed, knowledgeable person such as Mr. Harris speaks, I listen. I have aloe vera chinensis, offsets like mad, but I can't get mine to flower.
    Patrick - I see so many orange flowering aloes in general, I try and find yellow flowering varieties if I can. I think my sinkatana is going to flower yellow, buds are almost ready to open and I believe I have spoken to you about some yellow flowering arborescens cuttings. It's just a personal preference.
    San Diego is too far out of my range, maybe you could send some of those aloe-nuts to the Orange County Cactus Club this month. Not many aloe nuts there.

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Somehow the Orange/red color flower Aloe really attract the hummers attention. I guess they prefer orange/red but will sample other colored flowers as well.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Supannee,

I believe it's been determined that oranges and reds are the colors that hummers respond to most, with yellow a distant third. I've even seen them checking out the white Haworthia flowers, but that probably isn't that crowd's favorite.

• jack_san_diego
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:481363}}
    Hi Jeff,
    You are right. This year, winter in San Diego has been much different than I remember in the past. Sunsets in October are something to see, but we have had those type of sunsets for 5 months now. No complaints here.
    I hope to make next months Society meeting. Oldest daughter needs me for some wedding plans tomorrow.
    Happy Collecting,
    Jack

• rjj1
    18 years ago

My Aloe vera started bloom spikes late enough last winter to end up outdoors in the spring. The hummers seemed to enjoy it.

{{gwi:481367}}
    {{gwi:481369}}
    randy

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

nice pix rjj

• desert_gardener
    18 years ago

Patrick...in Ron's picture of your garden, what is the large plant at the base of the tree aloe? Is it an Aloe or Agave? What ever it is I love it.

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

The plant in question is Agave guiengola, my absolute favorite of the large-scale agaves. Compared to most other large agaves, it is quite succulent - i.e., the leaves are brittle and easily damaged by rampaging Labradors. It's also not very cold tolerant - even here in coastal San Diego, it got frost damage one year - so I don't know if it could survive an Arizona winter. It's worth a try if you can give it some protection.

BTW, the huge tree aloe is a bainesii-dichotoma cross, named "Hercules" by its hybridizer. The name is apt - it has twice the vigor of both its parents combined!

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Nice pix everybody, thanks so much for sharing them in this show.

I thought I recognized A. dichotoma (I've had some wonderful times, tours & viewings while visiting w/ some of the So. Cal. Aloe nuts); Hercules is especially handsome. He certainly is something most of us Yankees don't get to see very often. Thanks again!!

• fishies
    18 years ago

Just wanted to thank you ALL for some gorgeous shots. Jack, that is a stunning sunset. I am so jealous of all you California people...

freezing in the Great White North,
    Shelly

• rmontcal
    17 years ago

My aloe is starting to bloom as well. It is the first time one of my succulents has bloomed, so I'm very excited. What should I do now, as far as care is concerned? More water? More fertilizer? More light?

I live in an apartment in northern VA, so it is inside, in a SW facing window.

Thanks.

• gardenbud
    15 years ago

Hi, folks!!! I see most of you guys are in California. I am in Philadelphia. Ok...I have only seen aloe blooming once here...and it was yellow like in the photo shown. That guy had his aloe for 15 years...and had gotten a million babies all over his house. He gave me two babies and I lost one and was about to lose the other but gave it "benevolent neglect" and it is doing fine.

First question...how does one get the aloe to bloom???

Second question...I saw pics from S. Africa where there were many varieties of flowering aloe. What's with that?? How are conditions different???

Ok...let's see what help we can get on this!! Hope you guys are up for the challenge.

Gardenbud, Faye

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County