Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eonj27

Proper soil/repotting for indoor potted succulents/cacti?

eonj27
9 years ago

I have had several small/medium sized, individually potted succulents and cacti in my home for about 6 months now. Over this weekend I decided it was time to repot - the soil was looking really bleak and water was running right through it. I picked up some standard potting soil at a garden store and was told it'd be fine for succulents and cacti.

Since repotting, I've become a bit worried that the soil is too wet and retaining too much moisture - it's still feeling a bit damp, even though I repotted 2 days ago. So I ordered some Espoma cacti potting mix on Amazon and am planning to repot.

Questions - will it be okay to repot so soon after just doing it? I know that can be bad for plants. And should I even be concerned about the soil in the first place? I'm worried about root rot - that's how I've lost some succulents in the past - but also want to be mindful that they shouldn't be repotted too frequently. Would it be best to do a mix of the two soils (standard potting soil and the Espoma cactus mix)?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (3)