Houzz Logo Print
beachplants

Some plants from Z3 area in the garden

Beachplants
12 years ago

Here is the full zone

{{gwi:481876}}

and more detail of plants in there:

Aloe jacksonii, Sprawling aloe forming clumps up to 50cm accross. Simple inflorescens in Spring.

{{gwi:481878}}

Aloe hardyi, Mpumalanga Province, near Ohrigstad on cliff faces.Aloe branching from the stem with leaves usually hanging down. Simple red densely flowered inflorescence in winter.

{{gwi:481881}}

Aloe capitata var. angavoana, Madagascar (Antananarivo Province). Close to var. gneissicola, but reddish-grey leaves, red marginal teeth and densely flowered raceme.

{{gwi:481883}}

{{gwi:481884}}

Aloe castanea, Gauteng, N. Mpumalanga Province, S. Northern Province of SA in woodland & bushland slopes. Tree aloe branching from the stem & rebranching. Simple long tail-like orange-yellow inflorescence in Late winter/early Spring. (Note: I removed some leaves to try and keep aloe rust away)

{{gwi:481885}}

Aloe microstigma, Common in WC, EC in hot, dry flat scrub veld or slopes at times. Single or small groups, stemless or short stem aloe with scattered round spots on leaves. Simple single narrow raceme, bi-colour, around winter.

{{gwi:481886}}

Aloe schelpei, Ethiopia, in grasslands on steep slopes.Plant branching at the base to form dense groups. Leaves tinged bluish with sometimes pale-creamy lenticular spots near base. Simple or single branched inflorescence, bi-colour.

{{gwi:481887}}

Aloe dorothea hybrid

{{gwi:481888}}

Aloe grandidentata, Freestate, NW Province, NCape on arid stoney plains and ironstone slopes. Stemless, suckering to form dense groups. Erect with up to 7 branched inflorescence flowering in Late winter, early spring.

{{gwi:481889}}

Aloe petricola, Northern Province on rocky outcrops.Stemless, Solitary or form small groups. 1-6 branched bi-coloured inflorescence mid-late winter.

{{gwi:481890}}

{{gwi:481891}}

Aloe dyeri, SW Mpumalanga and West Swaziland, In shady woodland valleys & ravines. Stemless to occational short stem, usually solitary aloe, inflorescence up to 15 branches with brick-red flowers in Autumn.

{{gwi:481892}}

{{gwi:481893}}

A. betsileensis, Madagascar, S-central Highlands on rocky slopes. Solitary, with short stem. 3-branched erect inflorescence, yellow-orange densely flowered raceme.

{{gwi:481895}}

{{gwi:481896}}

Unknown Aloe, possibly a hybrid, love the lime colour!

{{gwi:481897}}

Cotyledon tomentosa subsp. ladismithiensis

{{gwi:481898}}

enjoy!

Oh, the garden is still a working progress...there will be a path round the side of the house.

Comments (13)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful Aloe dyerii. Well , they are all gorgeous, but that one really caught my eye. My question os. What does Z 3 mean to you to me it means cold like ALASKA! It must mean something different to you. My sister lives in Z 3 Alaska. I think I like Z3 South Africa better. Aloes seem to like it and there are no mouse tromping through the garden.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I have never seen an Aloe petricola with teeth like that or that green... my seedling had dinky teeth and was nearly white it had so much tomentum on it. Perhaps just a variation.

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wanton, thanks Z3 is zone3....I divided my garden, into zones to keep track of what is in them up to z12! Z3 is looking straight into the teeth of the SW winds, which is ocean, salty winds and this area also get sun in the afternoon. I do love the dyeri myself.

Geoff, yeah must be, colour is more or less the same for all 3 petricola's I have. I am seeing some colour variation on the aloe aculeata seedlings as well - will be interesting to see them develop, there is about 30. Oh, I think I also understand why they talk about petricola and aculeata being close, especially in this plant, don't you think?

• excelsa_
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting those great photos!

The 'unknown aloe' looks like A vanbalenii.
    The Aloe shown as A petricola is actually an A reitzii.

-Excelsa

• MojaveLove
    12 years ago

I love the Aloe dyeri - it looks like a dinosaur-age plant.

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Excelsa, I guess time will tell. I will update.

Glad you like it Mojave.

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Great job! My favorite is the Aloe capitata var. angavoana. W-O-W.

I need one of those in my life.

Is that a hill of Conophytum behind your Aloe dyeri? Can I ask what type and how do you treat it?

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hanz - Hill is Ruschia radicans and it made the hill by itself, which looks cool.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Love the garden. Aloe capitata looks like Jaws after dinner. Those red teeth are scary. How old is this garden? Seems like there are a few really cute pups around so you must have been working on it for a while.
    Penny

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Rian,

Lovely plants again, and they're growing so well for you. What does the 'Z3 area' mean? It's not like Area 51, is it, and I know you don't mean Zone 3 (weather colder than ours).

Excelsa,

It looks like A. petricola to me. I didn't think A. reitzii had thorny undersides and the leaves aren't as longitudinally chunky as Rian's plant.

Penny,

You should collect the whole capitata complex, many of the species' names relate to what they grow in, e.g. Aloe capitata v. gneissicola, A. c. v. quartzicola (and a few more, too).

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Penny I started developing this part a year ago end of Feb. Of the 12 or so zones this one is toughest because of the position.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Beachplants,
    Very nice assortment of plants here, and it gives such inspiration to create my own display along the side of my own home.

Nice job I'm sure you enjoyed every moment of that project.

Greg

• Beachplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, love gardening Greg...lots to do still, but I am taking it slow, and watching closely, I will only do the finishing touches once I am happy. As with any garden, I guess, some plants do better in some areas than others - so I have had to move some around a bit.