Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fun With Cross Pollination

Posted by hanzrobo 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 0:17

So, I've had this Cheiridopsis for over 2 years and this is the first time it has bloomed. I think it's either C. candidissima or a type of C. denticulata. The leaves are pretty large, 6-7". I really would like to make more of these but again, only have one.
I know 'selfing' is possible by stimulating the stigma with it's own pollen, but just don't want to chance it.
I looked around the greenhouse and the only thing close that was flowering was my recently acquired Odontophorus angustifoilus. Steven Hammer writes that these 2 genus' readily hybridize and that Odontophorus probably belongs in the Cheiridopsis group. So I pollinated the Cheiridopsis with pollen from the Odontophorus, not the other way since I had already pollinated the O's with themselves. Hopefully this results in an interesting cross.
Here are the 2 plants. Hopefully someone can help with an ID for the C...? It's leaf tips turn lavender in the sun.
Cheiridopsis...?
Photobucket

Odontophorus angustifoilus
Photobucket

I also pollinated a small Pleiospilos nelii with pollen from Aloinopsis luckhoffii and the Odontophorus, not counting on hybridization just hoping to trick it into 'selfing'.
Pleiospilos nelii
Pleiospilos nelii

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fun With Cross Pollination

Y'know, I'm fond of each one of those, but the one in that first photo, the Cheiridopsis, is just...oh, what is the word I'm looking for? It's fantastic, but I feel like I use that word a lot. It looks like a person throwing both arms up to the sky in victory, joy, exuberance, excitement, whathaveyou. It's just...uplifting. :) Great show, Ryan - thanks for sharing!

*CG*

o

CG,

here is a crowd.

Jordi

Here is a link that might be useful: The Crowd

o

Hehe, a crowd, indeed!

o

Jordi, that's a very nice clump. I hope to be able to plant some of these out one day.

o
Arms Raised to the Sky

CG, that was a terrific description of the Cheiridopsis. I'm glad it brought you a good feeling.

o

It is a very enchanting plant. Those lavander tips really add interest and make it quite lovely!

o

I wish you could've seen it when I had it in full sun, nearly the whole plant was that color.

o

That first one is pretty damn ex rated if you get the limbs being the other two limbs on the body.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here