Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Aloe Vera? Species?

intelinside1
10 years ago

I recently acquired some Aloe Vera. Are their different varieties of Aloe Vera?

I notice that the one that I already have (which is PIG) smells really foul when I use it for medicinal purposes. It also has heavy yellow sap. It turns almost grey at times, and flowers a yellow conical flower.

The one that I just acquired doesn't smell bad and is less sappy. The leaves seem a bit more translucent and greenish/red. I guess this could be due to stress/sun, but it just seems so different from the Aloe Vera I have PIG.

Comments (11)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

yorkiemiki,
    "Aloe Vera" is Aloe barbadensis. While there are numerous species of Aloe, I don't believe that there is more than referred to as "Aloe Vera" The only one I know of is Aloe barbadensis.

They all have succulent and sappy flesh on the inside, so it's possible you have two different species entirely. Which one is the real "Aloe Vera" (Aloe barbadensis), I couldn't tell you. I'm not that experienced with Aloes. Someone else will probably chime in and tell you more regarding this.

Planto

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Planto.

I need to get to the bottom of this mystery.
    EDIT
    how do you embed these pics anyways? i'm using google drive.

This post was edited by yorkiemiki on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 14:39

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Hmm... I can't seem to view your pictures, I get that broken picture icon when I try to click on the link and copy and paste the links you provided.

You can create a free account with Flickr or Photobucket, upload your pictures there, and they will both provide you with a link that you can copy and paste into your message. No need to finagle anything.... at least I don't have to with Photobucket, it just says link to this picture, I click on where it says that and it says link copied... I just then paste it into my message and wolla, when I hit preview, the picture is there.

Hope this helps.

Planto

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EDIT: Deleted -tech difficulties

This post was edited by yorkiemiki on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 14:38

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Okay, I was able to view your pictures this time. I'm not the best at IDing Aloes, so I'll let someone else ID those for you.

Planto

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

QUESTION: Is my PIG aloe really Aloe Vera Barbedensin? Is it the medical one? I can't tell if it's just stressed as I don't water it much and we're having a drought here in coastal Los angeles.

--The new aloe in the pot is greener thicker and reddish.
    --My old aloe is purplish-grey with yellow flowers. It grows like a beast in the garden with minimal water

{{gwi:482192}} This is our old "aloe vera" bloom is yellow

{{gwi:482195}} flower

{{gwi:482197}} this is the new aloe vera in pot

{{gwi:482200}} new aloe vera in pot

Thanks Planto!!!!! I was having technical difficulties LOL!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

yorkiemiki,
    I'm sorry I don't have anything else to add. I don't grow Aloes myself and I'm definitely not one to ask for a proper ID. I hope someone else responds to your post about an ID. If you don't get a response at all within say a week, I'd make a new post asking for an ID. Try to give folks a few days before considering this though, as I'm sure someone will respond to this post within the next couple days. Some days on this forum are slower than others, but someone almost always responds to every post.

lol@the technical difficulties. Glad you got it worked out. Having the pictures embedded in your message like you do will help a lot! I hope I have been of some help. I know having an ID is what you really want though.

Planto

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks planto.

anyone know based on these pics? I have some other aloe I'll get some pics of that look like aloe vera as well. My mom had been using it as if it's aloe for medicinal purposes, but I'm pretty sure that one is not aloe vera

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone with Aloe Vera species have any advice on the two plants in the pics or are they the same plant?

Thanks so much!

Should I upload more pics?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, I believe you have Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera), yellow-flowering. There is an Aloe vera v. chinensis (which I believe most use for burns), which is an orange bloomer.

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rose marie!