Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagardens

Is this a version of String of Buttons (Crassula perforata)?

chicagardens
10 years ago

Also...is it a super slow grower? This little bit I've had, no joke, for over 6 months. It gets plenty of sun and adequate water. It's neither died nor grown any. :/

Comments (16)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Don't know, but think it might be Crassula marnieriana? Others will be more sure. Is that a community pot of some kind? 'Cause otherwise, I think that pot is too big for it.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I think it is more likely Crassula rupestris. Yes, can be slow growers. They can have spurts as well. =) Looks nice & compact = a good thing.

• ishuku
    10 years ago

I say keep doing what you're doing... I started mine as a cutting of about the same size and it took a while to get going, but it's grown slowly but steadily ever since.

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx all. I'm just so desperate to see an amazing pot full of these (:
    I'll be patient and let it do it's thing.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I should've said Crassula 'Baby's Necklace'. C. rupestris is a bit larger.

Here are a few pix of mine, with their "California tan", of course:
    Click for larger view~

{{gwi:482364}} {{gwi:482365}} {{gwi:482366}}

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Rosemarie- i LOVE the color. Thx for sharing. Cant wait for mine to get larger. is the Tom in the first pic just as small? I think I may also have this one. It was dying when I got it from someone but its recovered nicely. I'll take a pic and upload.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree...I love the colored up versions of my succulents (California tan, stress, neglect, SOS program-that's what I have)!

The 'Tom Thumb' is a tiny plant. Well, maybe a 3rd the diameter of the 'Baby's Necklace'. I only have a few stems of "TT' left, as it needed more TLC than I could give it.

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm on that program too! I can't do delicate, there's not much I can do about the CA 100+ heat.

Here is what I think might be TT? I should take a pic of the other steams that are still struggling, but overall it's recovered nicely. You might see a few struggling ones in the pic.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

They can take a surprising amount of water during the winter growing season where I live, as long as the potting mix drains well. This variegated Tom Thumb was outside all winter and got watered with a hose.

{{gwi:482369}}

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

salt_creep- yours look like mine, but with a lot more red which i love! Does that mean I have a TT? (:

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Gosh, gosh gosh, what a beautiful picture, I'm swooning at the pink highlights! TFS Salt creep.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Ken, always love seeing your plants! Bigger here than on Facebook~better! =) That's a beauty!

Yes, Chicagardens, you have a 'Tom Thumb'. :)

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

chicagogardens, I think you do! Just give it some direct sun and the red should appear.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

The stack-leafed crassulas are among my favorite in the group. I love the Baby's Necklace, Rosemarie! Gotta get me some of those. Funny how just a little difference in sun exposure makes a big difference.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Well, Ken, next time you need me to send some horse hair for pollination, I could send you some of this one! =) I'd love a little piece of variegated 'Tom Thumb'.

• LaraSai
    9 years ago

Is it a crassula rupestris x perforata 'baby necklace'?

Help, What should I do if the leaves at the base wilted?
    I think it may be due to overwatering. Advice please?