Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Aloe Plicatillis sends up stems

Posted by hijole 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 1:47

Well my Aloe plicatillis finally has shot up a stem and I feel like passing out Cigars I'm so excited.
I don't really know what caused it though, I have three in 3 different pots and only one has produced a stem.
Not really sure why the others haven't or even why this one did but it did.

Pictures will follow once we see some blooms .

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Aloe Plicatillis sends up stems

Greg -

I wish you better luck with yours! Mine put up about four stalks but, alas, gave up on the flowers. Maybe your neck of the woods will be more conducive.

Pics?

Tom

o

Tom and Greg ,
I have three plants,was wondering how large they need to be before they grow a stalk? Mine are small,a few years old.
Thanks for sharing
Sharon

o

Waiting with an-ti-ci--PATION! ......

o

Greg, CONGRATS on your inflorescence making their appearance! You may have to wait a while for the blooms...like, mid to late April...so I thought I'd share mine from past years. As you can see from the pix, each bloom is rather large! Enjoy!

Click for larger view:

o

Thank you, thank you, to all...

Tom, hopefully my neck of the woods has better luck for sure because it would be like all this hype for nothing.
What I still don't know is why only one has sent up a stem?

Sharon, I wish I knew girl, I'm still trying to figure out what I did right if I did anything. I have two in a 1 gal. Container and another in a larger pot and the one in a gal pot has sent up the stem.

It's been about a couple of weeks since I noticed it and have been waiting for the others to perform since they are in same soil conditions.

Beachplants , I know , I know.

Rosemarie, thank you for the pics thats what I'm anticipating also, what do you do to get them to do that, please don't say nothing either. Fertilizer, watering, sun light requirements. Thanks.

Greg

o

It has been my experience that even when I've done the same thing, my plants decide what they want to do and when. It can be very frustrating.

o

Sorry, Greg! Okay...I will not say it! :P They will do their thing when they're good & ready. I live in a mild Mediterranean climate (75 degree~avg year round).

Mine is planted in the ground up against a fence, midday & afternoon sun exposure. It had been laying on top of the ground for over a year (with a rather thick stem already) & it survived that! It used to get hit with sprinklers when I watered the lawn & berm of plants in front of it. Now it relies on rain. We don't get that very often here. I try to keep the grass & weeds at bay from choking it out & pull off the dead, black leaves every so often. Sorry... no secrets to reveal. =(

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 16:59

Nothing on mine yet. It bloomed last year, so it should do something this year. Striata and greatheadii blooms have just emerged.

o

For me it is one of my seedlings Aloe fosteri and one of my favourite grass aloes, Aloe cooperi - cooperi has flowered last year, but this year I see at least 4 inflorescence...just hope the ocean winds do not get too nasty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here