Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Finally Aloe Plicatillis sends up stems

hijole
12 years ago

Well my Aloe plicatillis finally has shot up a stem and I feel like passing out Cigars I'm so excited.

I don't really know what caused it though, I have three in 3 different pots and only one has produced a stem.

Not really sure why the others haven't or even why this one did but it did.

Pictures will follow once we see some blooms .

Greg

Comments (9)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Greg -

I wish you better luck with yours! Mine put up about four stalks but, alas, gave up on the flowers. Maybe your neck of the woods will be more conducive.

Pics?

Tom

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Tom and Greg ,
    I have three plants,was wondering how large they need to be before they grow a stalk? Mine are small,a few years old.
    Thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Waiting with an-ti-ci--PATION! ......

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Greg, CONGRATS on your inflorescence making their appearance! You may have to wait a while for the blooms...like, mid to late April...so I thought I'd share mine from past years. As you can see from the pix, each bloom is rather large! Enjoy!

Click for larger view:
    {{gwi:482831}} {{gwi:482833}} {{gwi:482834}} {{gwi:482835}} {{gwi:482836}} {{gwi:482837}} {{gwi:482838}} {{gwi:482839}} {{gwi:482840}} {{gwi:482842}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you, to all...

Tom, hopefully my neck of the woods has better luck for sure because it would be like all this hype for nothing.
    What I still don't know is why only one has sent up a stem?

Sharon, I wish I knew girl, I'm still trying to figure out what I did right if I did anything. I have two in a 1 gal. Container and another in a larger pot and the one in a gal pot has sent up the stem.

It's been about a couple of weeks since I noticed it and have been waiting for the others to perform since they are in same soil conditions.

Beachplants , I know , I know.

Rosemarie, thank you for the pics thats what I'm anticipating also, what do you do to get them to do that, please don't say nothing either. Fertilizer, watering, sun light requirements. Thanks.

Greg

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

It has been my experience that even when I've done the same thing, my plants decide what they want to do and when. It can be very frustrating.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Sorry, Greg! Okay...I will not say it! :P They will do their thing when they're good & ready. I live in a mild Mediterranean climate (75 degree~avg year round).

Mine is planted in the ground up against a fence, midday & afternoon sun exposure. It had been laying on top of the ground for over a year (with a rather thick stem already) & it survived that! It used to get hit with sprinklers when I watered the lawn & berm of plants in front of it. Now it relies on rain. We don't get that very often here. I try to keep the grass & weeds at bay from choking it out & pull off the dead, black leaves every so often. Sorry... no secrets to reveal. =(

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Nothing on mine yet. It bloomed last year, so it should do something this year. Striata and greatheadii blooms have just emerged.

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

For me it is one of my seedlings Aloe fosteri and one of my favourite grass aloes, Aloe cooperi - cooperi has flowered last year, but this year I see at least 4 inflorescence...just hope the ocean winds do not get too nasty!