Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epiphyte78

Growing Succulents Epiphytically?

epiphyte78
13 years ago

Hi Folks,

How's it going? As you can tell from my username I'm crazy about epiphytes. Here in Southern California I think we might have maybe one or two epiphytes...native ferns...but every once in a while you can find some accidental epiphytes...especially ficus and especially growing in the pockets of the canary palm. At the Huntington Gardens they have a palm tree next to the cactus garden that has numerous, tall columnar cacti growing in the pockets. The palm tree is on the lawn and I'm guessing that it's regularly hit by the sprinklers. It's pretty fun to imagine how large the largest accidental cacti/succulents in the wild has been.

Very generally speaking...for epiphytic orchids and succulents...I tend to tell people that the size of the medium should match their watering habits. If they underwater then they can go with smaller sized media and if they overwater they should go with larger media. It's the basic idea of equivalence. What I'm wondering is...has anybody ever experimented growing terrestrial succulents epiphytically?

One succulent that I've rotted more than a few times is Adenium (Desert Rose). Last year I took several cuttings of two different types and I plan on attaching them to my tree that has numerous orchids, tillandsias, rhipsalis, ferns, etc growing on it. I ran a drip system up the tree which I turn on every other day at night during the hottest days of summer and around once a week early morning during the coldest days of winter. The epiphytes on the tree go completely dry between waterings.

A couple weeks ago I grabbed cuttings from four or so different random Kalanchoes and tightly attached them to my tree. Already I can see a couple bright pink roots emerging from one of the stems and they are growing towards the bark.

In terms of epiphytic cacti (rhipsalis, epiphyllums, etc)...while I certainly haven't tried them all...it seems they generally require crooks of the branches where there's more moisture.

Besides cacti, here's a list of more or less epiphytic plants that are more or less succulent...

Aeonium leucoblepharum

Aeschynanthus

Alsobia

Anthorrhiza

Codonanthe

Cotyledon umbilicus

Crassula pellucida ssp marginalis

Crassula schimperi ssp schimperi

Dorstenia astyanactis

Echeveria guatemalensis

Echeveria pittieri

Echeveria rosea

Echeveria var. racemosa

Graptopetalum macdougalii

Hydnophytum

Hypagophytum viride

Kalanchoe campanulata

Kalanchoe globulifera

Kalanchoe gracilipes

Kalanchoe ndotoensis

Kalanchoe porphyrocalyx

Kalanchoe pumila

Kalanchoe schizophylla

Kalanchoe uniflora

Medinilla sedifolia

Myrmecodia

Nematanthus

Pachyphytum longifolium

Peperomia

Rhodocodon/Drimia/Rhadamanthus urgineoides

Sedum botteri

Sedum churchillianum

Sedum epidendrum

Sedum grandipetalum

Sedum guatemalense

Sedum hultenii

Sedum jujuyensis

Sedum meyeri-johannis

Sedum neovolcanicum

Sedum reptans

Sedum ruwenzoriense

Sedum tortuosum

Sphyrospermum majus

Yucca lacandonica

Let me know if I'm missing any that are in the traditional succulent genera (Kalanchoe,Sedum, etc.) I only own a couple of these so PM me if you have cuttings you'd be willing to trade or sell.

Are there any advantages to growing succulents epiphytically? Well...growing succulents on a tree would certainly be a conversation piece...much like how green walls are gaining in popularity these days. You'll always have plenty of vertical space if you run out of horizontal space. Also, you won't have to "repot" as often or worry about weeds (well...I wouldn't be surprised if the mother of millions managed to grow on your mounts!). Plus, it would be quite a challenge to rot a succulent growing epiphytically.

So if you have any extra cuttings and an area that you water more frequently...it might be interesting to see how some of your succulents might do mounted.

I'm always happy to give tours and compare notes so PM me if you're ever planning on being in the area (Glendale).

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr

Comments (5)

• xerophyte NYC
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Many of the succulents you list are cremnophilous, not epiphytic. They grow on sheer cliffs. While the pendant habit and root structures may be similar to some epiphytes, the culture requirements are not.

The cremnophytes will anchor into a crack and utilize whatever small amount of soil there is. For the most part, they will not sit on top of debris like an epiphyte. There is often intense wind in these habitats so the roots can be extensive. Most will not thrive in the same conditions of humidity, organic debris and constant moisture, as an epiphyte would.

I also think they would look unnatural plastered to a piece of bark, but that is my personal taste.

Now if you wanted to grow succulents hydroponically - well, that's a different story...

x

• epiphyte78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Never heard the word "cremnophilous" before...thanks! Well...the moisture requirements of epiphytes can be represented by a bell curve. It's certainly reasonable to say that the large majority of epiphytes grow in humid/moist environments. For example, orchids such as Pleurothallids occur in moist cloud forests. These types of orchids have no storage organs. However, there's a strong correlation between moisture and competition. Cactus and other succulents avoided the competition for "prime" real estate by being able to grow in areas that were too dry for most other plants. Plenty of epiphytic orchids have done exactly the same thing by adapting to drier forests. In fact, what most people don't realize is that the Orchidaceae has more CAM species than any other family.

A while back, when I was deciding which orchids to try and grow outside year around here, I primarily selected orchids based on their elevation. But on a day by day basis, dryness is the biggest challenge to growing orchids epiphytically here. Rather than trying to water more I've just been selecting orchids that have no problem going completely bone dry between waterings.

In terms of moisture equivalence, I know there are plenty of succulents that would fit right in with my epiphytes...but I have no idea whether their roots would be able to adhere to the bark sufficiently to support their weight...or whether their roots would desiccate when exposed. Most of the Kalanchoes I'm trying have fairly sturdy aerial roots so I figured I'd experiment with them first.

Regarding aesthetics...yeah...I definitely don't see succulents on a stick being the next fad. But for me personally, it would look more natural than say a Tillandsia in a shell...

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Rhipsalis - many varieties
    Epiphyllum - TC/CC
    Aporocactus
    Hoyas are quite succulent and Epiphytic

There are lots of succulents that would work. I think most that form aerial roots would work. I am surprised no one else commented. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

-David

• epiphyte78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks David! You're really right about the aerial roots.

Here's an update on just a few of the succulents on my tree...

Last year I sowed a gazillion seeds from my largest Echeveria directly on the tree. To my surprise...perhaps only a few days later I started to notice a gazillion tiny seedlings sprouting up wherever there was a bit of moss. I had no idea that Echeverias were so easy to grow from seed. Here are a few pictures of the larger seedlings...

There are two or three large seedlings growing in the root basket of Dendrobium speciosum...

{{gwi:483585}}

Other succulents in that photo are Graptopetalums, Crassulas, Othonna capensis, Crassula streyi, etc.

Here's a large Echeveria seedling growing in the root basket of an Ansellia africana...

{{gwi:433096}}

This one is growing beneath a Begonia boliviensis...

{{gwi:433091}}

Another Echeveria on the tree is Echeveria nebularum...

{{gwi:483586}}

It's an epiphytic succulent from Mexico. Other succulents in the photo include... Crassula spathulata, Cissus tuberosa, Peperomia urocarpa, etc.

Here's a photo of the shady side of the same branch...

{{gwi:483587}}

Succulents in this photo include...Aeonium Kiwi, Graptopetalum, Peperomia graveolens, Kalanchoe NOID (purchased as K. manginii), a small Echeveria, Kalanchoe marnieriana, etc.

Here's a closer shot of the Peperomia...

{{gwi:483588}}

Peperomia graveolens and Crassula streyi both have nice reddish coloring on the underside of their leaves so in this regard they are well suited to growing epiphytically.

Here are a couple different Echeveria roseas that I added last year...

{{gwi:483589}}

{{gwi:483590}}

Echeveria rosea grows epiphytically in Mexico. It's one of the most cold hardy Echeverias and is grown outside year around in parts of England. Not sure why it's not more commonly grown here in Southern California as it can color up nicely when in bloom.

During summer I water the tree every other night via drip system. During winter I water the tree first thing in the morning around 3-4 times per month. Many of the succulents seem to be able to survive indefinitely on just the plain bark of the tree...but they go into bonsai mode. In order to thrive they need some moss and/or detritus. I've also tried using coco fiber but it just doesn't retain enough moisture. What works pretty great is coco fiber with a layer of New Zealand Sphagnum on top.

Here are some other photos of succulents growing epiphytically...

Agave
    Cactus
    Cactus
    Cactus
    Cactus
    Crassula multicava
    Cyphostemma currorii
    Dudleya
    Echeveria alata
    Echeveria dactylifera
    Echeveria nebularum
    Echeveria nodulosa, Aloes, Mamillaria
    Echeveria nodulosa
    Echeveria nuda
    Echeveria rosea
    Echeveria rosea
    Echeveria rosea
    Echeveria secunda
    {{gwi:483584}}
    Kalanchoe uniflora
    Mamillaria
    Mamillaria
    Mamillaria
    Opuntia
    Opuntia
    Opuntia
    Yucca lacandonica and Agave

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Epiphyte, I love your succulent tree. It's inspiring. Thanks for the beautiful photos and links.

E. rosea is such a stunning echeveria. I have never seen it in a nursery around here.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert