Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dellis530

The Face Returns

dellis530
12 years ago

There was a post a while back where everyone posted a picture o themselves so we could put a face to a name. I'd love to ressurect it. I'll start.

Denise

{{gwi:483817}}

Comments (150)

• bellpepperguy
    12 years ago

Because they're so damn cute!

Lola
    {{gwi:483864}}

Sleepy Jim in a shirt
    {{gwi:483865}}

Beggin for treats
    {{gwi:483866}}

Best buddies sleeping together on their "window perch"
    {{gwi:483867}}

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Greg, thanks for the support, it wasn't easy making that decision but it's been the best thing for my peace of mind and my family. We also have 2 girls, 6 years and 5 months, so...

I want to clarify, I'm the only art hanger in the county and I work part time at a frame shop/gallery that is very busy. The owner is a framer and I'm the only other framer which puts me in high demand over there. It's a multi-faceted trade that not many people have real experience with. Luckily, some days I finish my hanging jobs early and then have the rest of the day to tinker with plants or work on my plan to take over the world... muuaahahahaha!

Laguna Beach is very nice but the job has to be really big for me to drive that far, hasn't happened yet but if you know anyone...

The plant biz is in its infant stages but the plan is perfectly crystallized in my mind. I'm going to continue growing a variety of Mesembs from seed, build a website to move them and build up a catalog of available seeds over time. There are bigger parts of this plan involving expansion to a new property and substantially increasing my collection at that time but one thing at a time, please.

Just to let you guys know, this is the only blog I do. No Facebook or anything else. Y'all folks are my one and only and I just can't quitchya'. There's too much to learn here and too many great personalities. Plus, nobody else cares about my plant obsession. They have to tolerate it while you guys embrace it!

You can check out some pretty awful live recordings of our jazz if you want. The band has been inactive for about 2 years but our page is still up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Captain Squid

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Ryan: I'm impressed that you're not of Facebook! Kudos to you, man! I got sucked in years ago with MySpace - I'm lucky I was able to fend that off for as long as I did. 'Course, I "met" my husband thru MySpace, so I guess I got at least one good thing out of it. :) He's the one that got me to transition on over to FB.

Anyway, are you in SD? We might have to talk. :) I have a friend who does art, but she's based on the east coast; I'm sort of trying to promote her out here.

And yes, jazz is some serious stuff! I'd go so far as to say it's one of the most difficult styles of music to study. A good friend of mine from the music program I was in studied jazz (while I was doing the opera stuff), and I got to sing a few times with the jazz band. When you spend your whole life on the beat, it's REALLY HARD to loosen up and get off it! Thankfully, I've gotten better over time. Jazz has also really helped me learn how to improvise. :) I'll have to give your band a listen.

So, it seems several of us have some pretty neat and interesting hobbies, pastimes, careers, etc. We've shared faces; how about background?

*CG*

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm back, I had to read back and caatch up. This is so great that this thread turned into more than pictures. All different lives bonding on a passion fo plants.

Greg - are you making a "Red-head" reference, lol. I get Lucy references for the trouble I STILL seem to get into as well as the red hair. My children call me Ginger. Its occuring to me now that it could be a Gilligans Island reference??? I always thought it was started on South Park.

CG - Impressive life and good role model, your generation should all be like you, mine should have too for that matter. I googled "Salton Sea" and the very first sentence on Google is "The Salton Sea is a shallow, saline, endorheic rift lake located directly on the San Andreas Fault" you know what that sounds like to ppl in PA? YIKES! You werent kidding about living in the desert.

Rosemarie - I WANT the Capistrano story here! Its just been the 3 of us for 16 yrs (me and my son and daughter) and my oldest is about to go to college (only 2 hrs away) we visited the college yesterday so its more real now. I'm so proud (first one of her family to go), but I will miss her horribly and so will her brother. Any advice on getting through that?? I know I'm probably the exception here and its really a bad case of codependency, but I want them home and safe longer. I didnt have enough time. weird I know. Shes not too excited about going and I'm being a reluctant good Mom and making her go, its what comes next. My son just got his drivers permit. Make it stop!! I want my babies back. Oh, sorry menapausal and overly emotional rant, I'm ok now.

Stush - Dont be down on yourself, you looked like the friendliest person in the world to me, and your blue-eyed girl is lovely.

Carol - you have a "male dominated" job, so do I, I'm a service manager for GM by trade. CG too with firefighting "Girl power! " as my daugter used to say, now she says something else but I cant repeat it here, lol.

Keith - Do you teach staging classes? If so, is there one on youtube? Oh and I'm moving into your yard, dont mind me.

Keep it coming guys its great learning about everyone!

Denise

• hijole
    12 years ago

Denise, yeah I could say Ginger too I see it .
    don't talk to me about Trouble , I know all to well what trouble is LOL...

Anyways this has been a very fun thread and the fastest growing one I've seen since I've been around and there are many more to come you might have to make another site like, face 2 or JUST to be funny 2 face lol... Have a great day and you can always have a capistrano experience when the kids come back to visit.

Greg

• caudex1
    12 years ago

"Keith - Do you teach staging classes? If so, is there one on youtube? Oh and I'm moving into your yard, dont mind me."

Never videoed one, will have to keep that in mind for the next program I do. Have one coming up in May for the Gernanium Society where I will demo staging geophytic Pelargoiniums. Then one in June on caudiciforms and one in November on winter growing succulents. I have all the AV equipment just have to put to use.

Link below is a short video I put together from our club S&C show. If you watch closely you'll see me, I'm in a light colored tank top.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&S Show Teardown

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Here's a few more of myself and my cuties (since we're showing them)

~Erin~

{{gwi:483869}}

{{gwi:483870}}

{{gwi:483871}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Wow!/Hijole! (not you, Greg~hee hee) This thread now proves that they CAN go past 100 responses!!

Lots of interesting background stories, folks! I'm on info overload! More stuff to keep straight! :P I am amazed & impressed with all! What diversity in this group. :)

Nice to see you, Josh (Central_cali369) & at Yosemite, even!

Cute ones, Jim & Lola, Bellpepperguy, but what's YOUR name? (I'm trying to update the List before I post it again on the other thread Howard started. Speaking of...where is Howard's mugshot (~it's been MORE than a few days ~surely someone took snap on your birthday)...and Penny's...and, and...you know who you are!!

Denise, after a bit of time goes by, you'll see the separation is good for BOTH of you. That'll make the reunions that much sweeter. Enjoy the Capistrano times when they happen!
    Oh! I goofed in any earlier response...a couple of you think Paula's name is Carol. It's not! :P I made a reference to Carol Merrill, from the show, Let's Make a Deal...describing her stance in her photo. Sorry!

Good to see you in gear, too, Erin...and your 2 cuties!

Okay...more mugshots! Where are you guys hiding???

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Erin: Daaaaaaaaaaaang, girl! Remind me not to get on your bad side! *hehe!* Now I'm wishing I had an action shot of me! :)

*CG*

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Erin,
    Is that the way you weed around the house? Must be killer weeds. 1st. gas them, them attack!!!
    Greg,
    I would have never guess that's you. I kept thinking that here is a yound kid getting started into plants. Keep that contest going.

Man, I am impressed with you all.

Stush

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Well, Stanley, what's your story? Tell us something about yourself. :)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, Nah, just a newbie. I know and I ask a lot of questions to all the time and when I speak with friends and I share what I've learned on this site I sound some what informed , you'd think I'd tell them I learned all this stuff on the garden web , but heck no ! They think I'm some guro on cacti & succulents hahaha..LOL.

Stush actually I'm 56 but I feel like a kid with my cacti and succulent hobbie, collection, and I don't actually know many of the names of many of the spieces I have so It's going to be tuff for me to jumb into the alphabet thread. I'm not good at A,B,C's at least not in nameing plants, but I'm learning here, I see plants and then the names and then say, O, that's what I have, emmm....

Well gotta go was at work what seemed like all day.

Greg

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I browse here much more then I post but here I am.
    {{gwi:483872}}

• elichka
    12 years ago

Hi All,
    My name is Inna. I post sometimes,but mostly read. I am addicted to GW.
    {{gwi:483875}}

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

CG - I was in field medical training in the first picture and in the second one I was actually on a humanitarian mission in Uganda, Africa (too bad I wasn't into plants back then. I think I might have smuggled some back lol)

Stush - LMAO YEP! That's exactly what I do! Nah! I'm kidding! But thanks for the great idea! I think I'll put some of my gear laying around here to good use!

~Erin~

• hijole
    12 years ago

Central Cali, Yosemite, that is a nice place, I used to go there as a kid durring the days that had the Fire Fall, That was an Awesome site, I remember we stopped going back in the day as they say because of the Hippies, Lol... Yeah my dad said they ruined the park because of all their campfires, I mean pot smoking and the way they would carry on, people having sex all over the place. Back then it was called free love, I think it's still called that today. Anyways he didnt want us around that as kids I dont blame him either I woulda grabbed my kids and high tailed out of there too. Anyway I remember the park was beautiful and the water was abviously freezing cold.

Any ways I have cousins that lives by there, but I havent been there recently, do you live near by or where abouts in Central Cali?

Greg

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

Denise, I was doing an imitation of Carol at the time. (we were doing something noteworthy and this was the photo that went to other plants in the industry) I do work in an all male dominated field. First female maintenance and first female to work strictly production, ie 'hot end'. 'Wow' on Service Manager and CG as fire fighter. Now that takes guts as with ~Erin~ in the Military. When I was in the Army a friend took all of my C&S plants for me. I had a lot. After 3.5 years she was glad to give them back. 95% still there. I still have some of them or direct descendants. So many interesting people here! Night all! Have a great evening. Paula

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

Greg,

I love Yosemite! I live just south of Merced, so just about a fifty minute drive from Yosemite falls, Half Dome and all the iconic spots in the park. I'm actually planning a hike to cloud's rest this coming summer with a couple of friends haha. And funny that you mentioned the Fire Fall! I was just reading an article on that the other day. I would've loved to have seen that.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Central cali, Yeah My eldest son climbed up half dome 2 years ago I forgot how long it took him and his girlfriend but it was a milestone for them.

He actually took pictures standing right at the edge of the top, he later would make a poster that said, 3ft. from 9,000ft. He was actually 3ft. from the edge at the top. Yeah, WOW!!! you could see the wow in his eyes, like, HURRY UP! and take the picture already!.
    It's a great site even just looking at the pics.

He said many have been flung off the mountain due to lightning striking and it just throws you right off, I've heard if there is any sign of clouds the climbing stops.

Yeah as a kid, around 9 years old I can remember jumbing off the bridges into the ICE cold water man was that ever a blast! I dont think I would do that today, I mean, I know I would'nt, Thinking back, that was crazy, I remember my dad telling me to be careful and only jumb inthe deep parts because alot of people were hitting the bottom and well you know that wasnt a good ending.

I have cousins in Modesto, ca. too whats the city your in?

Greg

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

Hi there,

I'm not a big poster here, but here I am late as usual. These are socks my sister made for me. Nice to see pirategirl, since I have a couple of her cuttings. I like seeing all the faces that go with the clever writings. We are all so accomplished! What a great group!

{{gwi:483877}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Good to see you, Karyn, Inna & aseedisapromise! It's good to see some lurkers jumping out of the shadows! LOL ASIAP (is there a shorter name we can use?)...love the socks! You KNOW the person who made these?! Wow! Like your jeans cuffs too! As I always say, Better Nate than lever...I mean, better late than never! Ha ha!

Paula, AMAZING you got 95% of your plants back ALIVE after 3.5 yrs! They deserve an award for that!

Yes, tons of interesting info about all to process. My head is spinning!! I must get chores done today, so I'll be speeding through other posts! :P

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

I am new to the forum, just learned how to post some pictures thanks to the helpful people here. Sorry I wish the picture was not so clear!!!! :) Cody.

{{gwi:1688}}

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

Greg,

I'm in Chowchilla. About 10 miles south of Merced on the 99.

I've had my fair share of hikes up half dome hehe. I hiked it twice last summer, and hoping to hike it again this year. It takes us a little over 4 hours to reach the top, and 2.5 to get back down.

This is a panoramic photo I took while standing on the John Muir Trail. The photo is of Nevada Falls, with Liberty Cap rising in the center and the back side of Half Dome in the background on the left.
    {{gwi:483880}}

And these are photos of our group of friends as we explored the summit before sunrise.
    {{gwi:483882}}
    {{gwi:483884}}
    {{gwi:483887}}
    {{gwi:483889}}
    And this photo is of the cables on the last ascent to the Dome. I'm sure your son told you ALL about this part of the hike! haha
    {{gwi:483891}}

• hijole
    12 years ago

Central Cali Josh, wow!!! Sounds like your a regular up that part of the country, that's the location his pictures were taken, the 2nd and 3rd pics. He was standing on the edge 3ft and he told me it was 9,000 ft down, that's an awesome site and those water falls are nice too.

Those are awesome pics .

Greg

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Wow. Jealous. :)

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Here I am, late as always! ;)

{{gwi:483892}}

Nancy

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Glad you figured how to post pix, Cody & welcome. :) Good to see you & Nancy! It's okay to be late, as long as you SHOW UP! :P LOL

Fabulous Yosemite pix, Josh!

12 years ago

To all,
    Not feeling too well. I think my pneumonia came back. If not any better tonight, I will go to the hospital again. Seems I have to go in every year now for this.
    Don't feel like doing anything when I'm like this. See you all later.
    Stush

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Oh, not good, Stanley! :( Thinking positive thoughts for you ~to feel 100% soon! Keep us posted when you're able.

• springtime23
    12 years ago

Here I am !

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:483813}}

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow...GREAT to meet and "see" everyone!!

Stush, SO sorry to hear you're not feeling well...Please feel better soon! Well wishes from all of us!

Me standing next to a Mango tree while on vacation...
    {{gwi:483893}}

And of course my Pug Max...
    {{gwi:75126}}

{{gwi:342499}}

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

rosemariero6,

Thanks for directing me to photobucket. Hello everyone else. :)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Cody, Mastergardener. I like your handle and thats quite a statement for such a young man, throw some of your plants up so we can see what the masters been up too.

Puglvr, Wow that is a nice looking plant in the last picture you posted, Where did you go for vacation, I dont think I've ever seen a mango tree?

Stush, get some rest my friend and will wait for you to feel better, If your'e gone for more than a week I'm sorry but will need a doctors excuse when you get back.

Nancy , nice to see you here, as they say, better late than never huh.

C.G Jessica, Your'e a long ways from Yosemite girl, so enjoy those pictures, Lol...

aseedisapromise, welcome to the picture gallery, The Face returns. I like your handle to, " A seed is A promise." That is the truth, As long as the earth remains, seed time and harvest shall not cease.

I really enjoy this site it's such a great past time.

Greg

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Stanley, I'm really sorry to hear you're not well! Take care of yourself and get better!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Stush, get that pneumonia taken care of! That's serious stuff!
    Quite a few students have been hit by "walking pneumonia" this year....it's awful.

Nancy, great to see you join in, too! And Max, of course ;-)

Josh

• hijole
    12 years ago

greenman, Josh, Hey Josh , when you get a chance check out the Orchid site : "Poormans Orchid" I wanted to check on something with you, I have a little question for you on your expertise on the Pine bark, thanks

Hijole

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Stanley: Feel better, my friend! Pneumonia sucks big-time - you want to kick it in the patootie as quickly as you can! Get plenty of rest, and we hope to see you back here soon. :)

*CG*

12 years ago

Today is the first day I am starting to feel better. My wife and family still want me to go to the hospital. I think I will be ok this time. Thanks all.
    Stush

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Hijole, I went to Merritt Island (near Cape Canaveral), there was a Mango grove that was selling some Mangoes :o)...it was a couple or so years ago but I heard they sell them every summer. That's my Desert rose, I've since repotted and raised the caudex since that picture was taken.

Hey Josh!!

12 years ago

Feeling stronger every day. Thanks for all the concern. Now lets focus on the poor people caught in those horrible tornados that ripped thru the country. Hope all here are ok. We just missed it in S-W Pennsylvania. I am still waiting to here from some of my friends yet.
    Stush

• hijole
    12 years ago

Hey Stush, Good to hear that your feeling better, and it looks like you wont be needing a doctor's excuse, Lol...

Wow Tornados!!! I've never been close to one of those living in California. Earthquakes I can handle, tornados, forget it!
    Again welcome back.

Greg

• maggnome
    12 years ago

I stay away from the forums for a few days and this thread just explodes! Great pictures, everyone! That pug Max is particularly cute. :)

-Jacob

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Good to SEE you, springtime23 & Puglvr1! Loved your Adenium (you & Marie have knockout plants)&, of course, the pug, Max! Cute!

There are still a whole bunch who haven't shown their face! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

SO glad to hear you're feeling better, Stanley! =D

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Here i am,this was taken after my hair grew back in after chemo,so thats about 2 years ago.

{{gwi:483895}}

Good to see what everyone looks like,but Bellpepper,looks like you are having trouble posting,all yours say the photos have been deleted.
    Kathi

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie!!

Great to meet you Kathi!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Wonderful to see/meet you, Kathi! One day we'll meet in person!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Folks are MISSING! Be shot (snapshot, that is) & be counted! =)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, I agree, I like being able to put a face to the name or handle to so get snapped or get shot ! Yikes , just take a picture guys and no one wil get hurt LOL... See we like to have fun too ;)

Greg

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

OK, Rosemarie.... against my better judgement, with enlarging forehead and gravity taking its toll on my body, here's my pix!

{{gwi:483897}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Hee hee hee...glad you finally made it, Doc/Howard! Was it my threat or Greg's that did the trick? :P Wonderful to see some of your plants too...ooo, looky...orchids!! Gorgeous! Well, at least we can see ONE of your smiling eyes! =D

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor