Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe blossfieldiana has a bloom within a bloom.

Posted by goddess9 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 8:23

So, my pride and joy has been thriving for almost 5 months now - and that's why it's my pride and joy, lol! However, I have noticed recently that the new set of blooms it's giving off has a full bud with in a bud. I am currently about to head to work but I will post a picture when I return home.

Literally, it looks like another bloom is blooming within it. Is this normal or should I pinch? It's also getting very, very leggy and while I don't mind the way it looks, I don't know WHY it got so leggy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe blossfieldiana has a bloom within a bloom.

Hmm, guess I'll have to wait until you post a pic. There are some Kalanchoe blossfeldiana with double blooms called 'Calandiva'-in several colors. (link to some below) To me, they look like mini Roses. Did they bloom before & not look like this? About the legginess...usually this occurs when the plant isn't getting enough light. Where is it located (in house/outside/near a window, etc.)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalanchoe 'Calandiva'

o

Thanks for the reply. :)

1) That looks a LOT like my plant! It blooms in a nice deep pink. Has been since I got it in September.

2) It's VERY leggy since I put it on my east-facing sill. (Those are the only windows I have since I live in a rowhome apartment.) A good 3-4" of leg! I give it a quarter turn every watering but they just keep getting leggier. :(

I will post a photo when I get home - I should have taken one this morning. I hope it's normal and I'm not just imagining things.

o

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here it is!

o

Well...that IS odd...but I think it's neat! Nothing to worry about. I do believe it is one of the 'Calandiva' types.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here