Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Kalanchoe w/pink babies

Hi all. I've been gone a long time, but I'm back and looking for a few plants. I'm starting over and interested in certain succulents. I am interested in the kalanchoe with the green leaves (if they are even called leaves) and pink babies. Is it called "Butterfly Wings" or "Pink Butterflies". Or are those two the same plant? I already have the leopard spotted kalanchoe and I'd love to add the Butterfly Wings or Pink Butterflies. If anyone can clarify the name and where I may purchase, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Yes, the name is Kalanchoe ' Pink Butterflies'. On occasion, you can find it at Home Depot. (I suppose that may depend on your region)

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rosemarie. I'm wondering if it can be purchased online. I've seen the other colors for sale online, but not this one.

• mfyss
    10 years ago

The plantlets ('pink babies') on K. 'Pink Butterflies' do not, for the most part develop into plants, and since seeds are not likely, new plants are going to come from cutting up the existing plants. I have just one decent plant developing from a plantlet of this strange cultivar (others had developed for a while, but died) and you can see part of its problem from the photo. The plantlet, about an inch tall, will not look like its parent.

Another issue with the parent plant is that they are said to be monocarpic and die after they flower. My plant has not flowered, but I cut off its upper portion and hope to end up with two plants. Yale

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you mywss. I am going to give it a try. I found the plant on etsy. It looks so interesting. I can't resist!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

And so begins the descent into succulent mania - many have trod your path, Liz.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, and may God grant me the wisdom to apply the brakes.

This post was edited by lizkuntne on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:21

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Excuse me, but Etsy sells plants now? I wonder why?

Last I knew, it was a place to buy hand-crafted or hand made art or folk art & some quilts too.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Etsy has been selling plants for as long as I've been shopping there. Granted, that's only been about a year or so, but you can find some interesting plants. I ordered a Tillandsia from a shop last year sometime. It was about $5 total. It arrived in perfect condition! The shop offered more "exotic" air plants, but I've never been one to spend $30 on a plant, let alone by mail.

I've noticed they sell other things not craft related (at least not by my definition of "craft") Whatever comes to mind, just type it in their search bar, you might just find it, hehe. :)

Perhaps to answer your "Why?" question, maybe to add more diversity (just a guess)? It does seem like it's more like eBay now than a craft site.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 16:11