Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Trailing Jade....

Posted by webkat5 Z6a MO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 8:29

OK...I got a "bonus" plant of Trailing Jade (that was the only name) in a pot of something else that was sitting in front of it...

Looks just like a red-edged Crassula ovata, a bit smaller leaves and with trailing stems (not upright trunks).

When I search, I get conflicting information about appearance and even botanical name....

Anybody know what I might have? I could take a pic, but as small as it is, I am not sure it will help at all.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Trailing Jade....

Take a picture, lets make sure that is what it is really is. I don't believe it exsists. I do have a Portualcaria, which used to be called 'Jade' in ereror which does hang down. Perhaps that is what it is. It does haave smaller leaaves and red stems. I'm just a doubting Thomas. Norma

o

Ok...I hope this pic is good enough...it is a baby, but hopefully you can ID it...

They did have many of the large pots of this...definitely had a "weeping" habit (for lack of a better description). The only thing written on the label was "Trailing Jade".
I might call them, too and see if they know....

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 13:07

Trailing Jade is a common name for Kleinia petraea (=Senecio jacobsenii), but the photo does look more like a Jade, Crassula ovata. The leaves of K. petraea look as if they are turned on edge (not held out flat). Norma points out that there is no trailing (weeping, etc.) Jade and she has lots of Crassula. Yale

o

Ok...I know this is not a Crassula ovata...I have those and also saw the "mother" plant that this came from....

The nursery had C. ovata, too (on a different table)...

The stems on this are hugging the ground, not upright like C. ovata.

Funny when you look at the pics of Senecio jacobsenii on DG...they are all different....hmmmmm.

It is so frustrating when nursery plants aren't correctly labeled...isn't it!

It sure does look quite a bit like this pic of S. jacobsenii (if the one in the following pic had red stems and red tips on the leaves):

Here is a link that might be useful: Senecio jacobsenii

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 6:01

It does not look like C. Ovata because of the narrow purple stem. I have similar plant (s) I got from a W-Mart Xmas closeout. Some had green leaves, some had purple tinged leaves, & one had a purple stem. The leaves do tend to look more turned on edge, & are more thin than C. Ovata. As the plants grow, they tend to spread onto the base of the pot & then hang down. The roots also are different from C. Ovata.

o

Baci, do you think it is the Senecio, then?

o

Sat, Feb 17, 07 at 7:22

webkat5, I am not an ID expert, but it does not look to me like C. Ovata because of the stem. I have been trying to find good material for identifying Senecio jacobsenii on the web, but that is very difficult.

Some of mine are pictured below (sorry for the dark pics). It was pretty fried when I got it, so it is still coming back. The trailing habit is a bit more well developed than yours. One has a green verigation on the leaves; one has a purple tinge, & one is green. Yours looks similar to the last one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This one is putting out an aerial root not like those C. ovata puts out.

Others with more knowledge on Senecio jacobsenii please comment.

o

Those certainly look like the growth habit of the mother plant...bet that is what I have...

Thanks for posting pics!

o

Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 10:04

'Trailing Jade' is usually grass green, but posting a photo of one grown in full sun and watered infrequently which is purplish. A variegate form shows lots of patterns. Yale

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Trailing Jade'

o

Is it normal for these plants to periodically drop long tendrils/stems? My trailing jade plant is extremely full and long (about 4 feet) and appears to be very healthy, but it has recently started dropping long stems. I'm wondering if I need to thin out the plant from time to time, or if this is just a normal part of the plant's life cycle.

Here's a picture of the plant shortly after I bought it a few months ago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here's a more recent picture. The plant has not grown much, but has greened up since being hung next to a window with an eastern exposure (lots of light, but not direct).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For now, I am replanting the dropped stems, and they seem to be "taking" - there's new growth shooting up through the soil in the second pot I've used for the dropped stems.

If anyone has any advice regarding caring for this type of plant, I would really appreciate it. I'm definitely a novice gardener, but would like to learn more!

Sarah

o

Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 10:12

Sarah,
'Trailing Jade' doesn't have tendrils characteristic of vines. You've analyzed your plant's growth clearly, and if it got more direct sun there would probably be less stem dropping. Direct sun will also improve its chance of blooming. Yale

o

soygata i dont have a answer to this question...but i do know if you get tired of your trailing jade you can most certainly send it to my house :). What a beautiful plant!!! I sure hope i get the green thumb to grow plants like that. Either the green thumb or more windows or both :)!

o

Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 7:50

Soygata, is your plant pot bound? Mine was pot bound when I got it & the leaves were coming off. You might check the roots.
The degree of variegation can also depend on the quality of the plant.
I still have no idea of the exact name of one of my plants. One is Kleinia petraea the other is not.

o

Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 16:00

Trailing Jade in flower, but just starting to show its color. Yale

Here is a link that might be useful: Trailing Jade flower

o

Is this plant a relatively fast grower?

The reason I ask is that I keep seeing pictures of full baskets of long, trailing strings. Does it take years and years for that to happen?

o

Looking at the beautiful basket of trailing Senecio jacobsenaii WoW it is a beauty. I'm pretty sure that is what you have. I have S. ovata 'Jade' I have Senecio jacobsenii and I also have Portulacaria that does weep down, if fact I have two clones of this species.

Baci you just became an expert. Norma

o

Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 4:25

Thanks Norma but like others I am still learning. I also have some Portulacaria tricolor that I thought was bent into a downward growth but now that I see your post I think it may also be a weeping variety. Is S. ovata 'Jade' Senecio ovata?
Amany, mine has been slow growing.

o

Baci,

Sorry for the delayed follow-up. My plant was EXTREMELY rootbound!!! The majority of the plant ended up falling off onto my floor before I figured out that I needed to repot it. Luckly, I was able to save all of the limbs that fell off... I just cut them down so that they were much shorter and potted them in fresh succulent potting mixture. I now have five beautiful plants (from the one original) that are thriving, although they are much shorter and not as full as my original plant. They are certainly much happier without all of those roots filling the pot!

Thanks for your advice!

Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here