Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob61_gw

got these in between cold spells.

bob61
10 years ago

2 Ferocactus latispinis variegata in back, two Ferocactus emoryi, and mammillaria geminispina. Hope I can keep the color in them at least part of the year.

Comments (4)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Bob, I'm not a cactus fan, 'not entirely anyway,' but your cactis are impressive, beautiful.

I particularly like the top, two plants..Both are gorgeous.

Were they recent purchases?

Keeping colors during winter is a problem. The good news is days are lengthening..hopefully, bright sun will help keep colors.

Good luck, Toni

• bob61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, Yes they were bought about a month ago. Had to jump through hoops to get them during the cold weather. As it turns out that was the only time I could have got them without them freezing in transit. Got them at Daniel's Specialty Nursery in Southern CA. Daniel said she was just about sold out of the plants. Nice Lady to talk to. Talked a lot about the horrible drought they are in.
    I am trying to give them as much light as I can but this winter has been exceptionally cold, cloudy, wet and snowy. Lots of snow and ice yesterday and last night but didn't lose power. So far they are holding their color but probably to early to really tell.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Different plants, for sure, Bob! I've been to that nursery. Photographed it extensively & helped ID plants for them. Daniel is a man, though. There was a woman named Danna working there (several years back), but I'm sure she is not now. Oh, just now remembered he has another guy selling his stuff mail-order ~gosucculent dot com, I believe. But still is a vendor at shows under that Nursery name. Don't mind me. Just rambling!

I must find another F. emoryi.
    Yes, drought throughout southern California. Glad you haven't lost power!
    I'd be interested to see/hear if the colors hold for you as well. =)

• bob61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rose, I guess I got the names mixed up some how over the phone. Must be my hearing, my wife says I don't hear a thing she says. As a mater of fact when I go to the site it does come up with gosucculent dot com. I would love to attend the shows you folks get to go to in CA. It would be really rough on my wallet though. Made it through the snow and ice without incident and will be in the 70s by the week end. I thank the colors will probably hold as long as the nights stay cool but will probably go away during July, August and September. But the lady I talked to did say it had been unseasonably hot in the San Diego area. I know their nights are cool this time of year from my Navy boot camp days. Will let you know.