Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorstenia brasiliensis

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 9:55

This is a difficult request and I'm not expecting too much traffic in response. I have been looking for seed and/or, more preferably, plants of Dorstenia brasiliensis. I purchased some seed last summer from Steven (Mesa) but he gets them from Africa and they may have been old and with my track record of growing Dorstenia from seed, none germinated. The reason I say this is because I collect the seed from my other Dorstenia sp and plant them immediately but have yet to grow any, so I must be doing something wrong! Having said this, I do have Dorstenia hildebrandtii that is a "weed" among this genus and I have them growing EVERYWHERE! It was given to me by a very nice person I met here on GW.

Maybe some of you could help out and email me, since I know the rules don't permit "sale" kinds of things.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 9:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorstenia brasiliensis

'and I'm not expecting too much traffic in response'

I'd say that's remarkably prescient, Howard.

o

Well, Jeff, I may have many years on you and a vocabulary far below yours (just 'cuz I'm a Doc, doesn't mean I'm literate) but my brain still fills my calvarium and even works sometimes.... you are correct, I did have some premonition that nobody would come to my assistance. That's not a problem, since the query was out in left field! You just are tired of seeing it in # UNO position for so long... isn't that like being on the NYT best list????? LOL

I do love your response.... I always get a charge out of your postings! Thanks for the smile on my face.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 14:52

o

Yeah kind of ::: but it's only GW top post for eight days in a row not NYT LOL

Left field ??? that's not fair when some of us where thinking why would anyone pay internet price of 8-15 $ for a weed seed lol

http://www.cactusplaza.com/succulent-seeds/dorstenia

For the future ( you may already know ) Don't wake the baby. When dormant they need to be respected in that manner. Watering to soon it's a goner to late in season they just won't happen.

o

Bikerdoc!
Do you know where I can find specific instructions as to how to grow D. brasiliensis seeds? I live in Phoenix and am interested in cultivating them for tea-making....as with you all, I found the seeds for sale on the CactusPlaza site. I was curious if you had any luck, or if you had advice to impart!

Best,
Sam

o

As you read in my original post, none of the seeds I got germinated. I don't have any tips as to growing these from seed as I even have trouble with my own seed and I know they are no more than a day of two old when planted. I would still love finding some of these seeds or plants!

o

I was just browsing for information on how to care for my seedlings and I came across this post. I purchased seed from the exotic cactus store on ebay on 10-7-13 and as of 11-1-13 have 7 seedlings. I just put them on the surface of a mix of perlite and vermiculite with maybe a tiny amount of peat and kept moist with a sprayer covered in plastic. I did sow them in a shallow dish and left them outside where our temps were 70F in day and 40-50F at night. I heard the temp difference and cool nights help the germination. I had to move them in when we had a few cold night to 30-40F and they still seem to be doing well. I don't know if that helps anyone, but I thought I would throw it out there.

o

Jolene, are these seeds of this species, brasiliensis? I would love to get some. Might you be more specific as to the vendor and web address where you bought the seed? Granted, until they germinate and flower you may not know for sure that they are D. brasiliensis.... time will tell. Please let me know either on this post or directly by email.... thanks

Howard
AKA Bikerdoc

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 16:25

o

I purchased seeds called "dostenia variety mix" so I don't know exactly what they are. I am experimenting with seeds (haven't had much luck in the past, although I had 7 seeds germinate out of the 10 they sent) and I like the plants with caudex, although I know these take time to form. The vendor was "exotic cactus store" on ebay, from Homestead, Florida. I can try and find more info if a search is not successful for you. I also just purchased several plants from out-of-africa-plants.com and they have a good selection, although I'm not sure the have the particular one you are in search of.

o

Joline, I have almost every Dorstenia Mike has for sale and have grown several from my own seed from these plants. This particular Dorstenia is just not grown in this country and any seed available is from Africa. This seed usually is too old by the time it arrives state side. Steve at Mesa Gardens had some but none of the 20 seeds I received from him germinated. Thx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here