Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: A different sort of flower

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 10:31

Something most of you diehard succulent/cacti heads have likely never seen before. I'm into plants of all kinds, including orchids. In the orchid family one can find quite an array of bizarre, unique flowers. The following is a species from one of my favorite orchid genera. The flowers typically look like little mouths ready to bite someone or -- in the case of this species -- looks like it is sticking its tongue out. (Or perhaps a frog or chameleon-like head shooting its tongue out to catch a passing bug.) heh

Feb 2014 photo IMG_0011_zpse02ada74.jpg

Feb 2014 photo IMG_0009_zps9300405b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: A different sort of flower

Very nice, Paul. Maybe I could share my Dutch shoes....

o

You're more than welcome to add it on to this thread if you like. Howard. Smiley

o

That is awesome, Paul. Thanks for the view.

tj

o

This is the Dutch Shoe orchid which requires little introduction. It blooms profusely during the winter months.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:34

o

Gorgeous! I wish I had room for orchids in my life.

Paul, it looks like an inviting little shelter, complete with tiny perch. It also looks like it would eat whatever landed on it.

Howard, Dutch Shoe is SUCH a perfect name for that flower. I don't think a better name would be possible. So, who came first? - the flowers or the Dutch?

o

Ryan, I think it's a lot easier than the chicken and the egg. I would venture the flower....

o

Here is one from my small collection

Oncidium hybrid- blooming twice a year!

o

Another one- I call it spider orchid
Probably Miltassia hybrid
Love the smell of the flowers

o

Oh boy! Now you all opened a can of worms..lol

Just beautiful Howard, Nik and Paul! I never saw orchids like that before and I am always reading up on them every day...I have about 40. Many in budding and flowering stage..They are such a welcome to the dead of winter.

Thank you for sharing..

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 21:48

o

I have 4 setting buds and can hardly wait till they open up. thanks for sharing your interesting Orchid pictures. I always love to see peoples pictures.

Neysa in Calif

o

Thought I'd pick one more weird orchid flower. This is the third time in the past month that this has set a flower. The flower is single just over 5" top to bottom and the spike is 2' in length.

o

And i found this wild orchid last week (in the wild in Madaba, Jordan) - Anacamptis collins

o

Very nice. The rock behind it makes for a very attractive photo backdrop as well. Smiley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here