Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki702

Problem with my Jade plant

nikki702
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, I have what was a lovely Crassula Ovata and it appears to be sick.

It was dropping its leaves and the tips of the branches were feeling soft (this was last week)

It hasn't been over watered and its potted in a gritty mix.

I thought I would completley chop all the branches so I could see fresh green stem under the cuts.

Well today its looking very sad. I have whacked plants before and know the tips wrinkle slightly and then fall off and new growth grows but this time its different.

It seems the stems are going soft from the tip down.

I took the plant out of the pot and most of the roots were dead and just fell off. I have checked for mealy bugs and cant find any but the plant don't have many roots. I have washed the remainder of the roots and sat it to dry out but I am unsure of my next step.

I think my plant is dying :-(

Comments (10)

• nikki702
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic of the branches

• nikki702
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic of the "roots"

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Might need bigger but it looks like a four inch Terra-cotta pot (rooting pot) for re-rooting.

Day 1) Pre make a fresh mix forTWO four inch pots soak 1/2 ( or one 4" pot) of mixs and then let room/ air dry over night.
    Day 2) Remove 1/3 of over night soaked pot and place your jade in then top off with some of the pre made dry mix
    In full pot you should be able to see the bottom ring on the jade that's seen by bottom of your hand in pic 2.

Then soak remaining mix that was already wet and what ever s still dry in the second full four inch pot for drying again.

Day 4) Carefully removing the prior potted non rotted jade in pic from the day one pre soaked pot and the now day two ( three) over night died pot and soil by 1/3 at top.

Your actual days of two or three may vary. With diligence and care you should see some newer fresh white roots in about one -two weeks At this point you shouldn't need to re-pot as often but occasional misting or water lightly as needed.

Tips on top should/ would eventually snap off with easy by finger pruning If your comfortable a week or so after rooting you can also sharp cut the deader coloring off for some earlier leaf growth.

Going on a whimsey, did your pot and soil suddenly get hot ?

• nikki702
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply, the pot hasn't been near any heat.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

sooooooooooo sorry Nikki for your problem, sure hope what nomen-nudum told you will work for your plant.............crossing my fingers.

Neysa

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

What changed in your growing practices lately that might account for this apparently sudden decline? I have never had a Jade suddenly do this to me, and I have many. There has to be a reason. Jades are easy plants if they are not over watered, and receive proper lighting.

Christopher

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

How strange!
    It has no roots. Did the mix dry out too much, or perhaps stay wet too long?

Josh

• nikki702
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant stayed at my mums over the summer in the garden and was looking great, it got taken inside before the rain started. I noticed the leaves dropping off and the branches going so I bought it home.

It may have been under watered but the leaves were firm.

Im hoping I can save it, I have many jade plants snd have never had a problem like this.

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

I cant state your longer roots will return as a certainty Would be good if they did re- develop for growth but probably wont .

At this point I'll still be removing and top soil replacing looking on a bi daily basis for at least one more week.

( and one final re-potting the following second week into it's growing pot )

What you should be seeing in a few days.

{{gwi:485335}}

small white roots developing off of older dried dead roots.

You've got a lot of good living tissue on yours,in my opinion you have a great chance of successful re rooting.

What I do is use a beading tool with small hand bent hook to loosen the the surface grits letting them fall by them selves into a screen until the jade can be lifted out with ease.

Make a small cavity to place the jade using the second day pre dried moistened top soil. (You could also water by light mist the cavity area while your jade is out)

Optional: If your daring enough use the small hook tip to ease or assist the roots to go downward while out of pot
    Place your jade back into the cavity and top it with the pre moistened then a slight push with your thumbs inward at the pot edges should help hold the jade upright and stable for the next time.

Lighting: I wont suggest any direct sunlight for lighting right now One in pic is under T-6 12 hours a day on a bottom shelf of racking Temps are an indoor cozy 20-22 C.

• shawneerie17
    8 years ago

are you still answering questions on this forum?

if so does last years growth turn brown over the winter?

if it does then my plant grew 6 in in one growing season is that lots of growth?

and is it to late to trim i just want to cut off 2-3 branches (it is a fairly good sized jade) because i want it to have only upper branches

and is the growing season march to October or?...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County