Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a clue as to what plant this is?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 10:42

Well, I finally had to ask since here is where all the smart brains are:-)

A good friend who fought in World War 1 had given me this baby from a mother plant he got from the Mediterranean Sea while he was there. The mother plant is beautiful and I hope that mine turns out the same. The leaves are so soft, they almost feel like silk.

He told me it was in the succulent family, but not sure. If I had only written the name down when he told me. He is no longer around:-(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a clue as to what plant this is?

Does Sinningia ring a bell? I can't say which species it might be, but will let you know if I find it-and someone else hasn't chimed in.

o

Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

o

Well I may be crazy, but I want to guess Aeonium?

Never saw a silky, furry one & want to ask if there are tiny teeth on the edges of the leaves? It also looks somewhat thin -leafed for a succulent, but something in its growth habit & manner of branching. Nice plant, I like its entire outline/ profile/silhouette.

Curious??

o

PG: I was think Aonium at first, too, but the leaves do look too thin and delicate to be a succulent. I also wonder if there are any Aeoniums indigenous to Europe.

*CG*

o

It's a woody perennial of some sort. I've seen it before but don't recall the name.

o

No, I don't, but it sure is lovely.

o

I FIGURED IT OUT! I found the tag. Thanks for trying though everyone!

It is a Asteriscus sericeus.

Photobucket

o

Glad to hear you found the name, Mike...AND that you came back to tell us! Thanks!

o

Thank you Rosemarie:-)

I can't wait to see it flower too. It has teh softest leaves I have ever felt. I think it will make a great specimen as it gets older.

Mike

o

I'm glad you figured it out, Mike. I hadn't chimed in because I had no clue. It's a beautiful plant. I found some decent info on it at San Marcos, I'll provide the link below.

How's the heel?

Here is a link that might be useful: Canary Island Sunflower at San Marcos

o

Is it a succulent or sunflower or am I just confused?

o

Wow mike that one needs to show in the alphabet A show today! It is a beauty.

Greg

o

Penny, it is not a succulent & it is in the sunflower family. It looks like another succulent plant, though... Sinningia, with its soft leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here