Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimey_gw

Jade ID help

stimey
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what variety of jade this is? or what is wrong with it? I salvaged it from a dumpster awhile back, actually two of them one is in the house the other is in the greenhouse. I pruned it back hoping it would straighten up, I like the way it grows, but don't know if it is suppose to grow like this.

Comments (7)

• stimey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the one in the house.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

The plant in the first pic looks like Crassula 'Crosby's Compact', which is a smaller-leaved variety (unless it is supposed to be the same plant as that in the 2nd pic), It seems it would like more sun (to grow more upright, like the other).

The 2nd plant looks like Crassula ovata.

• stimey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first one sets in the top of the greenhouse, I would guess it gets more sun and more heat then the second one that is in the house in a south window. I dont believe they are the same plant I am very new with jades and not very good with succulents in general, I really like jades thanks for the ID I think I will move it around in the greenhouse and see how it reacts, Thanks

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Like Rosemarie said, the first is likely 'Crosby's Compact,' and the second one is a standard Jade (Crassula ovata). The first could use more light, a downsized pot, and a judicious pruning this Summer.

Josh

• stimey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gotcha greenman28 I will absolutely down size the pot and do a judicious pruning, I did do a pruning when I first got it, but have since then discovered what judicious means. Do you see a problem with 511? and should I remove all the soil from the roots when I transplant this to a smaller pot? The curly and twisted growth of this Crosby's Compact is just the way it grows? I really like Jades especially the way this one grows, I am propagating the first clippings that I pruned off initially, they appear to be doing real well. Thanks for the education guys.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The 'Crosby's Compact' does tend to have a more pendulous habit, especially when grown in lower light. Once the branches get long, they will droop under their own weight. A good hard pruning, followed by regular pruning of the tips of the branches, will result in a bushy and compact canopy. I agree, it's a very attractive sport.

As for the mix, I think the 5-1-1 will hold too much moisture. I would use a mix with less organic matter, more grit.

Josh

• stimey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is good news, Yep I will change both of them out they both are in somewhat of a 511, I let them dry out completely between watering probably a month or so. I have all the ingredients for gritty mix with the exception of granite, I was planning on using some polystyrene beads for this fraction of the mix, I am going to place a cactus that I have in the mix first to see how it reacts. I will see when summer get here, thanks.