Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm still here!

Posted by CorpsmanCooper FL8b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 10:50

This semester of school is a bear so please excuse me for not being around much! Anyway, I was running around yesterday and I stopped at a big box store to see if they got their shipment of succulents and cacti in. Well, they had! I only had a few dollars on me so I was having a panic attack trying to pick just a few! It was so hard! However, I settled on a Haworthia cuspidata and an Aloe 'pink blush'. This big box store is right up the road from my college so it will take everything I have in me not to go there in between classes today! They had some beautiful Aeonium too! Anyway, as far as I can tell the Haworthia has about 8 pups. Should I separate them or leave them alone for now?

~Erin~

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm still here!

Hi, Erin! I think we all understand, life is what happens when you're not on GW C&S. :) Glad you can pop in now and again, though!

*CG*

o

Erin, I think it is really a question of the "look" you want. Many members of the Haworthia genus pup freely while others remain solitary. There are pros and cons for both. A solitary head may show off its character better than being lost among a bunch of siblings. On the other hand, a massive display is definitely impressive! So in the end it really is your artistic choice. Glad you are still here... but now it's time to go back and study.... this is your dad speaking... (-:

Photobucket

o

Erin, Good to hear from you. Great going. I don't know how you do all that you do.

o

I'm on the side of impressiveness of a massive clump. I personally want the pups attached to mum...but then I tend not to rock the boat, too, and I would rather not pull a pup and accidentally lose the root system. I also think about the particular plant's pupping tendencies when making the decision to divide...My large H. cuspidata has been pretty productive, and I can't imagine how many pots I would end up with if I separated all of them--and I don't risk Haws in the winter and would be bringing them inside the house (well, I have them inside year-round, but even so). That's more pots to deal with and pay for, and a lot more to haul around when need be, and takes up more space. I do remember what recently happened to you this winter, with your awful losses, so I mention winter and plant-hauling with the idea that next winter might be a different work scenario for ya. Now, if you were wanting to eventually sell or just get the most plants with pups going possible, possible great idea, though.

Maybe first take a look at photos of enormous clusters of Haws and just see if your heart melts. :)

Biker, I always swoon at your Haw pics. :)

o

Erin, are you in Florida now?
Penny

o

Penny - I've been in Florida since I joined GW lol

~Erin~

o

Sorry, I must have mixed you up with someone else who might be moving.

o

We might be moving but it won't for a while.

~Erin~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here