Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deviant Lithops, or Do These Plants Make My Butt Look Fat?

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 10:55

Greetings,
What's up with this? Two individual Lithops in my collection are misbehaving: On the surface all appears normal, looking down one can see the typical appearance of new plant bodies--but take a side shot and you see an aberrant new plant tearing through the old one's skin. What causes this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Deviant Lithops, or Do These Plants Make My Butt Look Fat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deviant Lithops, or Do These Plants Make My Butt Look Fat?

Ha ha ha ha, what a title! LOL I dunno...breach birth??? :P Have never seen growth like this before.

o

Whatever the cause, pretty darn cool if you ask me...

Christopher

o

It does happen! Remember those new heads may burn if you lift the old head and they get direct sun...lovely colours by the way.

o

Hahaha, great title. Like Beach, I've seen this happen a few times and yes, sudden exposure to sun is not good.
I think this happens when you buy a plant grown by a grower who uses lower light and more fertilizer to grow plant big and fast. When you get it home and place it in higher light the sidewalls, which are usually protected in nature, become exposed and burn/dry out. I also think the new leaves adjust to higher light before they emerge and so will grow more compact, not high up enough to split the old leaves. Then we have a simple matter of following the path of least resistance.

Do these plants make my butt look fat... you're so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

o

Oh, BTW, I think you have a type of L. aucampiae there.

o

Maybe var aucampiae C173 (kuruman form)?

o

I'm thinking it's maybe C325? Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: L. aucampiae ssp. aucampiae v. aucampiae

o

Thanks, guys!
Am I correct in thinking I can legally name them both L. aucampiae? Believe me, I'm thrilled to have it down to species level... After visiting the Lithops site, I 'm convinced it would take a lifetime to become adept at identifying all the sundry forms and subspecies!

o

No prob, Money. I know what you mean. I'm just getting to the point where I can ID some of the species by sight. I still had to look through a bunch of photos to even make a guess at C325, one of about 25 listed Cole aucampiae species. I also looked at a bunch of examples of L. lesliei but those didn't stick.
I was only looking at your #1 when I guessed at C325. Your #2 might be something different but still aucampiae. I think you can pretty confidently say that both are some type of aucampiae.

o

Forgot about that site, I just ref. the cole book, yes could be. But it is just a guess, unless you have them from seed, variability is so big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here