Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmoney

Mid-Life Identity Crisis

seedmoney
11 years ago

Greetings,
Fabulous three year-old plant deserves name. Appreciate all input.
Grow well,
seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid-Life Identity Crisis

Comments (10)

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Well, not one I've seen before! It's a very nice looking plant! Red blooms in the mix...fun stuff!

It looks to me like a hybrid with Echeveria purpusorum as a parent. Then I think you'd need a red-blooming parent. The ones I can think of don't seem likely ('Black Knight', 'Black Prince', coccinea, some gibbiflora hybrids). I thought my Echeveria moranii had red blooms, but haven't been able to find online example.

It'll be interesting to see what others think. =)

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ro..I do love a good mystery!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Julie, that is beautiful. And while I would never want to get RoRo's nose out of joint... maybe a bit of fun here......

For reference, these are pictures of what I have labeled as Echeveria purpusorum, E. purpsorum cv,, E. pulvidonis

The last picture looks like the species while the one above has much thicker succulent leaves and develops "raindrops" on the leaves with lots of sun; the last two are labeled the same.

So I wonder if yours isn't a hybrid of Echeveria pulvidonis rather than E. purpusorum. Again, whatever it turns out to be, it is a very nice Echeveria and with red flowers....WOW

So, Julie when do you send me a small pup...When.... spring is coming and I'm almost another year older!!!!!!

{{gwi:485938}}

{{gwi:485939}}

{{gwi:485940}}

{{gwi:485942}}

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 14:25

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Oh Howard, you could never get my nose out of joint! Ha ha! Well, maybe if you smacked me w/a bat! Good thing you live far from me!!

Your 1st plant looks within the range for E. purpusorum.
    2nd, yes a cultivar/hybrid of E. p.~ I've not seen.
    Last one, E. pulidonis (no 'v') does look similar, like it could be in the mix.

Neat-O that your E. pulidonis has the "raindrops" develop on it!!

I selected E. purpusorum as one parent because of the look of xGraptoveria 'Amethorum', which has E. purpusorum & Graptopetalum amethystinum as parents, retaining the ridge on the back (underside) of the leaf from E. purpusorum. Julie's plant is retaining the pointed tips as well. I believe the other parent would have to be a light-colored one & have the red flowers. If her plant had a definite red edge, I might lean toward the E. pulidonis as a parent. Still, need to find some red-flowered guys.

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning,
    I posted this to another forum and a person suggested X Pachyveria--what do you think of this possibility?
    Thanks!
    seedmoney

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Julie, that is a good possibility.... but when are you sending me my division? Oh, it's in the mail! LOL

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Sorry, your plant pix do not say "pachy-" anything to me. Do you happen to have any pix of the blooms open? You mentioned the flowers were campanulate, Any detailed pix of blooms?

This post was edited by rosemariero6 on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 11:16

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

"Campanulate", WOW Rosemarie.... a real education having you around!!!! LOL I guess I'm more brain dead than I knew.... I had to look that one up.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

After I said it, I looked back & could not find Julie mentioning that in this post. Started to question my sanity, Howard! Ha ha! Have no idea if I got it mixed up from another post. Anyway, removed that reference (for anyone wondering what the heck we are talking about)!

A side note, Howard, hope you received my email about places to see during daughter's spring break!

Whew! I figured it out...she has "campanulate" in one of captions under her pix! Think I will change it back! =)

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok! Ro, I've added a photo of the as yet unopened flowers. Promise to add more when they open. Hope this helps.
    rgds,
    Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: flower photo of my unknown succulent