Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dellis530

Some pictures...ok alot!

dellis530
12 years ago

This is the part of winter that makes me buggy. I start doing weird things like painting my den a dark blue. I decided to post some pictures instead since it keeps me out of trouble.

I started taking pictures of my whole collection a couple months ago but had to stop when things got busy. I now have an 18 yr old (pray for me). So some of the pictures are from the last picture frenzy in 2009. Enjoy.

Denise

I had this aloe behind a deck railing which is why the coloring is uneven. Now I turn it in the summer. Aloe vanbalenii.

{{gwi:486085}}

I have a weakness for gymnos, I like the thicker organized spines. I dont have an ID for this one.

{{gwi:486086}}

This one stays this color all year and gives me one offset a year. Hechtia rosea.

{{gwi:486087}}

I bought one of these from Tropiflora about 10 years ago, now I have tons of them. Pups like crazy. A.guingola

{{gwi:486088}}

Fockea edulis showing signs of life YAY!!

{{gwi:486089}}

Not a very good picture, the lighting is messed up, but it shows a cool form.Tylecodon cacalioides.

{{gwi:486090}}

Another one I have coming out of my ears. Scilla violacea.

{{gwi:486092}}

Recent picture, most of the leaves are gone. This one I plant to cut in the summer, its so top heavey. Anyone know if it will branch and the cutting will root? Euphorbia aureoviridiflora.

{{gwi:486094}}

Euphorbia croizati. I plan to chop this one too. Its about 2 feet tall now.

{{gwi:486096}}

The picture doesnt show how big the caudex really is. Euphorbia francoisii.

{{gwi:486097}}

I'm thinking of chopping this one too. Euphorbia delphinensis.

{{gwi:486099}}

There is a pretty nice sized caudex under there. Seems to be a fast grower. I tried to root cutting but it didnt work. I'm going to try again this year. Euphorbia clivicola.

{{gwi:486101}}

This has a pretty good size caudex now. I have rooted cuttings, does anyone know if the cuttings will form caudexes too? I'm hoping it will like E.knuthii. Euphorbia brevitorta.

{{gwi:486103}}

Another one I cant seem to get cuttings from. Euphorbia mccoyi.

{{gwi:486106}}

Euphorbia gottleibei.

{{gwi:486110}}

I would love to take a cutting of this, but I dont have the nerve yet. Endadenium gossweileri.

{{gwi:486113}}

Euphorbia lactea variegata "white ghost". I can never seem to get a good picture of this guy. Slow grower, but cutting root easily. I bought this as a small cutting years ago. Back then this was very hard to get and very expensive. I have to laugh now. So much for that investment.

{{gwi:486116}}

Euphorbia perrieri v. elongata

{{gwi:486119}}

I have a thing for interesting patterns. Euphorbia pseudocactus.

{{gwi:486123}}

Euphorbia platyclada.

{{gwi:486124}}

I would love to know what this is, it has a good size caudex that all the branches come from. I want to say Euphorbia petricola, but I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

{{gwi:486127}}

Heres my Euphorbia petricola. Very rooted cuttings I shoud depot to see if there are caudexes. There is a slight difference with the picture before this one.

{{gwi:486129}}

Euphorbia serendipida. I love the pattern and habit.

{{gwi:486131}}

Euphorbia umfoloziensis. Kinda like how this pic turned out. I'm experimenting with black backgrounds. This colors up like this in high light.

{{gwi:486134}}

Cant remember the name of this one and I'm too lazy to go and look at the tag right now, lol.

{{gwi:486136}}

Synadenium grantii rubra.

{{gwi:486138}}

Sansevieria suffruticosa

{{gwi:486140}}

Pachypodium horombense.

{{gwi:486142}}

Pachypodium namaquanum.

{{gwi:486144}}

No ID on this one either. I think it looks good dormant too.

{{gwi:486147}}

Pachypodium lealii v. saundersii fma. compacta.

{{gwi:486148}}

No ID again.

{{gwi:486149}}

Pachypodium lamerei with 3 branches.

{{gwi:486150}}

No ID, I love this one.

{{gwi:486151}}

Feel free to let me know of any corrections or ID's. Have a great Sunday!

Denise

Comments (24)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sure like all the Euphorbia you have especially Euphorbia clivicola, Euphorbia brevitorta and Euphorbia petricola. As weather the ones you want to whack will root... don't know the species well enough to answer and I'd hate to cut the E. aureoviridiflora and fail to root the cutting. I would think the base would grow new arms. As far as rooted arms from some of the others forming a caudex as E. knuthii does, is somewhat questionable. They should but, like knuthii, they are supposed to make nicer caudex when grown from seed. I have E. knuthii growing from my seed and can't say this is true... and it takes forever! Thanks for sharing.

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Denise - Those are lovely plants! I love all the Euphorbia! They're my favorite by far. I wish I could find more varieties down here!

~Erin~

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

Nice collection, Thanks for posting.The last photo maybe it is pachypodium Eburnem. How old is Pachypodium namaquanum , what type of soil you use and about wateing it? I had Pachypodium namaquanum and pachy. Eburnem,but both roted.

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Very nice collection. It's nice to see some unusual plants instead of the typical mass produced offerings.

The one you have labeled as Pachypodium horombense looks more like a Euphorbia to me. Is it possible that it got mixed up with another plant? Possibly the NOID two pics below it? I have one as well, but it has not leafed out yet.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Great photos and terrific plants! I enjoy seeing a nice variety like yours.

Penny

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Denise, have you or anyone else tried Euphorbia stellata cuttings and developed caudex? I have a very long arm on mine that really is significantly longer than any of the others and today it just "twisted" off. So I guess in a few months I might just be able to answer my own question.....

• hijole
    12 years ago

Denise..... I was wondering where you were girl!!! And Now I know, You really make a statement everytime you post pictures. Have a great day.

Greg

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Howard- I think I'll have a stiff drink and get a sharp knife and whack those plants and see what happens. I have ONE E. stellata cutting that was from a gorgeous mature plant that died a while back (3-4 years) I was able to save one branch and it rooted and grows longer but no caudex, its well rooted and healthy so I'm hoping its just painfully slow!

Erin - Alot of the variety comes from online nurseries. I was just starting to look for more since its been a while and I noticed the prices went sky high. Sometimes I have luck on ebay. I keep saying that we should have a big cutting trade in the spring.

Penfold - you're absolutely right thanks for the correction. The NOID should be on the Euphorbia and the P.horombense should be on the 5th from the bottom. I get three windows going at the same time and confuse myself.

Greg - I've been painting my den blue. I never painted a room a dark color, but it looks good, I think.

Denise

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh sorry I missed a question.

Longaeva- The P.namaquanum is about 12 years old and that picture is from 2006. The most recent picture is terrible so I posted that one. Its just a little taller, very slooooww grower. I have it in 50/50 perilite and cactus mix and water it just like the others, one a week in summer and once every few weeks in winter. I did almost lose it once from shrivelling really bad and discovered it likes water in winter. My plants don't read the rule books.

Denise

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Love those Euphorbia! Do you grow these all under lights over winter?

Christopher

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Outstanding plants, Denise! What a collection! Love the variety, patterns, shapes, color...well, just about everything!

Very well grown Euphorbia lactea f. variegata 'White Ghost'! I have one (v. short in comparison) that was hit badly by frost & a freeze. Poor-looking thing now!

I got sidetracked yesterday...ended up taking about 200 pix of some of my plants! Yikes! Hope to put together a post, but have many priorities on My List I must get to first.

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Denise, your collection looked so healthy even in the middle of the winter. Thank you for sharing.
    Marie

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Denise, you have some remarkably pretty plants. I love the A. guingola, and looks like you have some awesome Haworthia stuck back there in the background! The Dyckia is also gorgeous.

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Christopher - I grow them all under lights in the winter, the big ammaks get the windows.

Rosemarie - I'd love to see the pics you shot yesterday, post away!

I have alot of Haworthia and to save space this year I made 3 Haworthis planters in long window boxes, they get the brightest window too.

Denise

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

What is that plant on stilts that appears in the background of pictures number 7, 16, 17, 19 and 21? Is it an agave?

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Denise,
    You've got some great plants! I love the Tylecodon.
    I've decided to avoid Euphorbias and Cacti, which means I only have a few of each. They're beautiful, it just too big of a world for me to adopt with my current setup focusing on Mesembs.
    I have to admit though, I do have a bit of caudex envy.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Howard, until Denise gets back...I believe the plant you're asking about is Sansevieria pinguicula, Walking Sans.

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Great plants! It's always interesting to see what others grow. You have a lot very spiney non-cactus plants. The range of Euphorbs you have is fantastic!

I wanted to note that Pachypdodium namaquanum is a winter grower (summer dormant), which explains your observation that it likes water in winter. It is an opportunistic grower, and can grow in the summer if kept too dry in winter. Normally, it should leaf out in late August/early September, and drop the leaves around mid-April. Keep it relatively dry the rest of the time. Most other Pachypodiums are from Madagascar, and are summer growers/winter dormant. So culture of this plant is different than other Pachys.

{{gwi:486152}}

It's native legend is interesting. It goes something like this:

A long time ago, the Nama people were forced out of their Namibian homeland by a stronger tribe. They crossed the Orange river into what is now northwestern S. Africa into Namaqualand, a relative dry and rocky place. On their journey they encountered large plants about six feet tall, leaning into the winter sun to the North, towards their beloved homeland across the river. Legend has that some of the tribe was so homesick that they were transformed into the plants they still call 'half-men', forever gazing north towards their lost lands across the river.

I love this plant and was lucky to find one about ten-inches tall around 2004. It came from the collection of a well known deceased grower, and folks were selling remaining plants to help his widow. Now, seven years later, it is 17-inches tall. Early on, I kept it very dry in the winter, and it dropped it's leaves in the fall, growing them again when I resumed watering in the spring. I finally learned about it's proper growth cycle, and it leafs out in late August, and drops all of its leaves in early May. Wonderful plant, but a slow slow grower.

Brad

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Brad, that explains alot, no wonder I almost lost it a couple times. I never researched it that deep because I thought it was the same as all pachys. Learn something new every day.

CentralCali - That is a Sansevieria pinguicula. Heres a better picture of it. I want to see how many "steps" it will take. I have another one that has a small offset, hey maybe I'll put them together so they can race, or at least succumb to peer pressure. I am amazed at how stiff the leaves and terminal spines are, even more so that an agave.

{{gwi:468035}}

{{gwi:486153}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Was doing some searching early today... couldn't sleep...again!!! Found this post and was wondering, Denise, if you did take divisions of your Euphorbia umfoloziensis, Euphorbia clivicola, Euphorbia brevitorta and Euphorbia petricola? And if so how were the results?

My stellata cuttings never did anything but my squarrosa form nice caudices, like knuthi.

Howard

• jp10a
    8 years ago

Very nice Euphorbias indeed!

• jp10a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are four of my favorite "windowsill" Madagascar Euphorbias

Growing in 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots -- equal parts washed, unscreened, pumice and washed cocopeat (coir) soilless mix.

JP - S. Arizona - zone 10a

Top to bottom:

• Euphorbia cylindrifolia x didieroides
    • Euphorbia sakarahaensis
    • Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp. tuberifera
    • Euphorbia genoudiana

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For Biker: & others ( from OP ) I want to say Euphorbia petricola, but I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

Is Euphorbia platyclada Other info cuttings root easily medium lighting with some full. Find cuttings take quicker and grow easily for me if treated as a Xeric. A pic sample of mine that rooted 2/ 2014 An odd fact that I found out is there is upright form and a hanging form as seen from the OP's pic. My mother one is hanging but have it upright for easier cuttings later and easier space managing while I fill in the pot to fill in the other

• jp10a
    8 years ago

Here is one of my Euphorbia petricola plants growing in a 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pot -- equal parts washed, unscreened, pumice and washed cocopeat (coir) soilless mix.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals