Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Cactus won't bloom

Posted by mpgatlinburg Gatlinburg, TN (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 11:48

Hi everyone,
Quick question. My Christmas cactus never bloomed. It had closed flowers on it when it arrived but they never opened they just fell off. I've watered it about once a week. Is there something I should be doing that I haven't?

mp
www.CabinsForYou.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Cactus won't bloom

How long have you had your cactus?

o

You say when it arrive..?

Most likely the shock of movenment, different enviroment, or buds to young to handle the change caused bud blast.

Next year this plant just may do a dance for you, if it is kept happy in it's own place..:-)

o

I agree with meyermike. Next year before the fall put in a area outside that gets bright, indirect Sun and leave it out until just before the first frost. By then you should have big, full buds. Then move it inside in a bright area and leave it there. You'll be good to go!

o

Did it come w/ ornamental foil on it, if so, did you remove that wrapper?

If you do searches here for Christmas cactus, you'll find lots to read about their care. If you look just on this 1st page of conversational threads, I believe you'll find the thread containing my explanation about buds blasting or buds dropping.

The suggestions above are all good as you'll realize once you start doing some of the suggested reading.

Better luck next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here