Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Jade plant - ID

I picked this jade up a while ago, when I was out hunting for a 'hobbit' and a 'gollum.' I found the others, but ended up with a bunch of discard plants that were all packed together, over-watered, over-fertilized, and given insufficient light.

I decided to keep this one, just to see if it would survive. It has an interesting look. But I can't tell if the differences are due to nature or nurture. It has a greenish grey trunk and thin, flattish grey leaves. I've had it on an east-facing window-sill for a while, and the supple, leaf-bearing stems are coloring up (red) nicely.

Thanks for the help!

Josh

{{gwi:486779}}

{{gwi:486780}}

Comments (20)

• airedale4mom
    16 years ago

Looks severely underwatered to me. Back in August I was lucky enough to get a 5in thick branch cutting from a huge jade bush. Since it had no roots the leaves looked like the above plant after a month or so. It took 5 mos before it got roots and another 2mos for those flat, pale green leaves to fill out and get a healthy green color again.

It looks like you repotted it? If so, wait a week or so and then thoroughly soak with water and you should see those leaves fatten up again.

I'm certainly not an expert so maybe wait for more experienced jade growers to answer you for more opinions. Will be a nice plant soon with you taking good care of it :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've had the plant for a few months now.
    The thing is, it was wet when I bought it.
    So I let the soil dry out for a week and a half.
    Then, I repotted in an appropriate soil-mix.

I waited for the roots to callous, then watered.
    Of course, the roots might not be taking up water,
    in which case the soil could be moist but the leaves
    dehydrated. To be honest, I'm afraid to give it any
    more water at this stage in the game. Soon, the warm
    season will be here, though...

Also, the newly grown leaves, even the red ones,
    don't seem to be very "fat" - certainly not as fat
    as any of my other jades. Different color, too.

I'll give it some more time, let it play out.
    I also started a cutting to compare differences.
    Lots of time until I see anything there.
    Thanks,

Josh

• airedale4mom
    16 years ago

It sounds like you did everything right Josh. Tell me, what type of soil was it in when you bought it, peat? Were you able to get most/all of the original potting soil off of the roots before replanting? What type of mix is it in now?

My thought is that if the roots still have the original peat mix stuck to them it may not be wetting fully and roots are unable to take up the water. What did the roots look like? Were there many roots? If roots were damaged or there weren't many than it may just take time before it grows new roots to take up the water. It won't help in that case to keep watering too soon in succession.

When trying to root that large branch cutting I spoke of earlier, when it got to the point of having a small area of roots maybe half an inch long and 2in wide, on one side of the wood stump only, the leaves still stayed flat and dull colored for another 2mos before filling out and starting to look healthy. It was suggested to me by others more knowledgeable to water deeply and then let it dry out for awhile (a month I think I waited) so as to let the roots grow, ie looking for moisture deeper in the pot which encourages more roots.

So, even though the leaves are very flat and dull, don't worry, you won't lose the plant. Jades are incredibly resilient, my proof being that woody stump I rooted. I was so sure it would never root and then when it did have roots I was so sure I would have to cut those branches way back because those leaves were never going to fill out again. Ha! I was sooooo wrong, LOL!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!
    I remember that big chunk of jade!
    Very nice, I'd love to see some photos of it now.

When I bought this jade, it was in succulent soil, with a good ratio of volcanic grit and (fine) Perlite - but this plant, like all the others in its flat, had recently been watered (and, who knows, the nursery folks might have been watering weekly! In December, no less!).

The original soil came away easily, revealing many roots. So I spread the roots out when I re-potted, and I used a cactus and succulent soil mixed nearly hand-and-half with large-grained Perlite.

I think you're right. It's growing roots, but has a ways to go before it's properly "established." I've kept most of the leaves on for symmetry, hoping they'll plump up this spring.

Josh

Original Author
    16 years ago

Took this the other day when the sun was shining.
    It's a slow process of recovery, but I grow more and more hopeful.
    Pretty good color for a window-sill, eh? Especially for a plant
    purchased in December. Granted, this *is* a direct eastern exposure.

{{gwi:486785}}

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

Josh, that looks really GREAT!! I love the red tints... very healthy, great job!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Puglvr! Pretty big improvement!
    The red color really surprised me, as this plant was
    shamefully despondent and grey-colored when I bought it.
    (I bought it because the trunk seemed decent). Now,
    this plant has more red than any of my other jades!
    Go figure!

Anyhow, I think the white residue on the leaves is from
    the water or the fertilizer used at the nursery. I've
    cleaned the leaves several times with rainwater and gentle
    scrubbing, but the residue is persistent.

Any tips, suggestions?

Josh

• bennymino
    16 years ago

Hi Josh! I have the same white spots from water on a couple of my jades too. I don't think there's a way to get them off, they don't hurt it any. The color on yours is beautiful. I have one (can't think of the right name, "rubra" something) that gets AMAZING color in the fall when temps drop. Keep posting pics of yours, I love to see them...

Sharon

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Those white spots are normal from water deposits left in the hydaoids (pores) when the dry out it leaves minerals in the pores. Cut down on watering for a month then water thoroughly. It looks like you are doing something right, keep up with what ever you are doing now. It looks wonderful to me, great color, I think this plant may be called 'Ruby' Crasulady2

• blutarski
    16 years ago

So...how often do you water a jade in the winter? I have one I watered about a month ago, I guess. No sign of distress- do I just wait until spring as I'm doing with my other succulents?

• bennymino
    16 years ago

I brought all my jade plants inside right before Halloween and I've watered some of them only 1 time since then. The smaller ones have been watered 2 times since then.

• Denise
    16 years ago

I keep my Jades watered in winter just as in summer - when they dry out, I water them. It may mean every 10 days or once a month, depending on how much sun they're getting, how warm and dry the house is, how rootbound they are... I have never been successful when it comes to seriously withholding water from my plants. Adeniums are a good example - everything I read about Adeniums says don't water them in winter. I killed every one I ever owned until I stopped following that advice...

Josh, I bet your Jades will look like a million bucks by the end of summer.

Denise in Omaha

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, all! I'm really looking forward to this summer!

Some of my jades are in pots that are far too large for them, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and water carefully (at least the soil is very fast draining).

I appreciate the info on the hydaoids, too.
    These mineral deposits seem inevitable. I collect rain-water when I can. When I don't have rain-water, I use tap water that's been allowed to sit for two days. I suppose I could "wash" the potting mix before planting/repotting?
    Ah well, as long as the plant's happy.

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey everyone, hope you're well!
    Thought I'd share an update on this jade. I'm still not sure what it is exactly, or if it's even a different jade variety at all. Here's the jade back in december, New Year's. Looking ill.
    {{gwi:486779}}

Same jade, February 17th:
    {{gwi:486785}}

And today, June 27th:
    {{gwi:486786}}

A decent recovery, all in all. The nearest branch had to be pinched off by an inch, two months ago - it was outgrowing the others, and I wanted them to catch up in height as much as possible. Slowly but surely.

Josh

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Very Nice Josh, love the colors!!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hey Josh,

What a nice specimen that Jade ended to be! You did an super job in the last year...all your hard work and not giving up on it paid off for you, Congrats!!

Last summer several of my small jades that weren't doing anything(summer here I get no growth at all) plus a few of them got scale(I think). I ended up pruning all of them, just chopped it all off, took care of the scale. Now 6 months later, they have all grown back, nice compact growth. I have some of them potted up in bonsai type pots. I like them so much better now. They looked pretty haggard during the summer( was just too rain,hot and extremely humid here). Jades for me just does so much better here in Winter and early Spring...then its downhill after that!

I can post some pics if you'd like to see a few of them...I even "bonsai'd a small aloe I got from Lowe's last year...

Btw, I am definitely interested in trading for your hoya(you called it round)Diptera? the first photo you posted on the Hoya forum...thanks!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

Wow - now that is an amazing recovery! Nice job.

T

• christoula
    15 years ago

wow Josh..You seem to be quite the Jade Guru! I will come to you for advice! I love the symmetry of the leaves and have never seen one like that in NW Pa! Gorgeous! Still workin' on mine!!

• golden_ca_2000
    15 years ago

Wow What a difference! Good On YA! Your Jade looks much happier!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor