Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moldy Jade stumps

Posted by varga21 none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 12:29

I will start by saying that i think I have been over-watering my jade (and will stop that immediately). I haven't changed any conditions recently, no repotting, light changes etc.

One side was growing downward, despite lots of sun and warm location, and the other side was proliferating nicely. One branch (2-3 inches thick) was so heavy that i woke up on the weekend to see it broken and seeping all over the floor. I took a clean sharp knife and cut the end cleanly with a plan to root and pot the broken branch. I thought the end would just dry out?

Now, a couple of days later, the end I cut is full of black mold, and the stalk is becoming soft. I am worried that the other branch that is just slightly below the cutting will also die and fall off. I also don't want the mold to spread to the rest of the healthy plant!
Help! I don't want to cut off the mold, with the risk of just creating the same problem again.

This post was edited by varga21 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 12:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moldy Jade stumps

Make a new clean cut, and dust with cinnamon. Good luck!

That lower branch will most likely have to come off. Looks like the initial cut is too close to avoid it.

Josh

o

I trimmed and dusted with cinnamon as suggested, but the softness continues further down the stump. I am concerned that trimming more will just make the problem persist and put the roots in jeopardy. How far back from the soft part should I cut? I lost another branch this morning, as well. The soft part tunnels about 2-3 inches from the stump.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

o

Shoot.
Well, unfortunately, you've got to cut back to healthy green tissue. Just keep cutting until the stem is a clean greenwhite, and then dust that cut with cinnamon. Can you post a pic of the entire plant?

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here