Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lithop - are there 3?

Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 13:21

There are new leaves emerging, looks like there are 3 in there. Isn't it supposed to be just 2 at the time?

Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lithop - are there 3?

Indeed they usually grow leaves in pairs. Love the colour of your Lithops, looks almost unreal. I tried Lithops once, not knowing that just watering once at the wrong time would turn it into jelly.

Christopher

o

Those are looking good, Rina! Yes, the 3-leafed Lithops is odd, uncommon but not unheard of. I've had it happen on a seedling which reverted to normal with the next shed. I've also had an Argyroderma maintain 3 leaves. I've never had an adult Lithops do it but I've seen photos. That should be very interesting when it finally emerges, keep us updated!

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 23:52

Thank you Christopher, I am trying very hard not to ...

Ryan, that's encouraging. Not sure when it is an adult? - I bought these in May-June 2012, one was flowering at that time. This is second shedding since then, exactly year ago
(photo).
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 0:09

o

Really awesome coloration! Kind of brain-like! :-)

Josh

o

They are interesting for sure. Pretty colors.

Neysa in California

o

Rina, great job keeping them going for 2 full cycles! In general, Lithops plants purchased at any retail nuresery will be adult plants. They may be freshly adult but have at least reached the size to fill a 2" pot. If you order plants online, depending on who you order from and what the arrangement is, Lithops may still be juvenile, (roughly 3/8-1/2")

o

Good to hear Ryan...I am very happy that they are still alive in my care. Hope to post photos again in a year.
Rina

o

I envy anyone who can keep lithops alive! I'm going to throw my guess in the ring: I bet there are FOUR leaves in there, and you just can't see the last one yet. I think it divided, and the partner to that third leaf is still hiding. :)

o

Nice!

o

Look forward to updates on this, Rina! Very cool!

o

Few weeks later, and there are still three - growing good so far.
(excuse not-so-good BlackBerry photo...)
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 12:25

o

And the other one has new leaves finally too.

Rina

o

How cute! That's a fun little anomaly you've got there ... I wonder what's going to happen the NEXT time it sheds its outer leaves? Will each one split?!

o

Danielle, I wonder about that too. My first lithops ever, I am very happy they are still alive!
Rina

o

Checked mine (in outdoor planter) when you posted this & there was no difference. Today, I see new leaves in the middle on the left one. The one on the right still has its' dead flower thing, hasn't changed for months.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 17:24

purple, they are healthy looking, they take it very slowly don't they?

I just took pics of mine and looks like there is another leaf hiding there?
See inside of circled area...Rina

o

Are you able to tell if that's a leaf yet?

I think both of these are making 4 new leaves. (Covered with pollen, like everything around here at the moment.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here