Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagardens

Lowes clearance purchase, will this one survive?

chicagardens
10 years ago

When at lowes buying material for home projects I take a peek to see what's in clearance. I've had luck with sticking to buying the hardier ones...like jades. I took a chance on this one for $1 but was super happy when the associate sold it to me for 0.10...they didn't have more succulents on clearance otherwise I would have run back and picked up a few more (:

I've never heard of this one, graptoveria Debbie, will it survive?

Also, I googled the name and got mixed images. Do any of you have a pic of a grown, healthy one? Thx so much. (:

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

It looks done, but cut away the leaves close to the stem and compost. Don't water, and keep the pot in a warm, dry place. If the stump survives, it will grow new leaves.

I took a look for images - there are a lot, but I think this is what it's tagged as, but as to whether your plant was that plant, I can't tell for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:488671}}

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cactusmcharris- thx for the link, those leaves seem before and differntly shaped. I hope it survives. (:

• a_shau
    10 years ago

I think it will survive! I have learned that succulents can be pretty hardy. I agree, cut away the dead/dying leaves at the bottom and pull off that dried one from the stalk. Also, check the soil to make sure that it's not too wet. I concur to leave it in a warm & dry spot with some good sunlight (maybe not direct though) and give it water (a little) once a week or once every 10 days as long as it dries out thoroughly in between waterings, and let it have some sun. I think that it will revive itself. Good luck!

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

I'd let it dry out a while like ashau and chad said.

Also maybe sprinkle some cinnamon around roots if you repot it in better -more gritty soil like Al's mix or something with a lot of pumice

Also slowqly put it in sun like ashau said so it doesn't get sunburnt

Great price by the way ;)P

-yorkie

This post was edited by yorkiemiki on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 17:03

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx all. The plant is in the same state. No change...which I guess is a good thing. I was checking on it yesterday and noticed all the leaves that fell off sprouted roots. :) I've moved all these else where to root on their own. Roots are in varying stages.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Now that's a pretty good trade if the mama perishes. Five babies!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx purpleinopp- i have 10 more leaves but none have roots yet. Just those 5, I hope they too root...and the mother plant recovers. (:

10 years ago

Sending good vibes!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE: 5 more have roots, so now i have 10! :) of the original plant, 1 of the stems died, but the other one is doinging nicely and has new growth. love my .10 investment! :D

10 years ago

Well that's fun & cool to hear! Some would find the lack of the (appearance of the) larger, original plant more distressing, but I'm with you. The babies are soooo cute & more fun to watch. A tale like this will be more fun to tell in the long run.

Succulents are really the potato chips of plants! You really can't have just 1, even if you only buy 1...

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

purpleinopp - and that's the truth! I've walked into nurseries before with a strict budget only to find myself well over and then having to trim down to a more reasonable "over my budget" total :)