Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jatropha potting and pruning...your thoughts :)

Posted by klyde 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:41

Hi all,

I bought a couple of Jatropha's last summer. They have lost their leaves over the winter, which is pretty normal I understand (?). Couple of questions though: I would like to repot them, as they are in what looks like some kind of mulch. What kind of soil would they like? What I use for my other succulents perhaps?

Also they need a bit of pruning as the tops of them have died back a bit (the bulby part). The leaves are coming out below a shriveled dead part. How would I go about doing that? Sharp knife and pair of gloves? Will they bleed, and should I be cautious? Your thoughts would be most appreciated!

Kelly in Victoria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jatropha potting and pruning...your thoughts :)

Well, Kelly in Victoria, some pictures of your lovely plants would be greatly appreciated and allow for appropriate comments. Jatropha are in the same family as Euphorbia. It would be helpful if you know the species. I have a Jatrophia podagrica which is planted in a semi-gritty mix and it seems to do well. You would want something that drains well. What you use would also depend on your specific growing conditions with light, humidity, ventilation etc.

o
RE: Jatropha potting and pruning...your thoughts :)

It is Jatropha podagrica.

Pictures are, alas, not going to happen.

As they are in Euphorbia, I shall ensure the proper precautions.

Kinda what I thought, really.

Klyde

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here