Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

exotic plant nurseries in Orlando area

bluebonsai101
13 years ago

Hi all, I am planning on being in the Orlando area at the end of this month and wanted to find out if there are any really good exotic plant nurseries in the area. I would be looking for rare bulbs (amaryllids from South America maybe), caudiciforms, etc that I could bring back to Pittsburgh for my collection. I was in San Diego last week, but spent all my time with friends and never made it to look at plants!! Definitely not looking for standard stuff at all. Thanks for any advice on unique places I could try to get to if I have the chance :o) Dan

Comments (15)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Out of Africa...but it appears to be over 3 hours away, unfortunately. Naples, FL.

You also have Jim Smith bonsai a bit closer - Vero Beach. He will definitely have some interesting succulents, I think. I bought a beautiful Adansonia from him several years ago, and he is renowned for his Portulacaria...

Tom

• amccour
    13 years ago

There are some nurseries on the other side of downtown Orlando (the, uh, non-Disney side) but when I drove by them a few years ago over Christmas they weren't open. Still, google and try phoning ahead. No idea how good they are, and a lot of them seemed more landscaping oriented. Meaning unless you're REALLY obsessed with palms and orange trees you might be out of luck.

You could also try checking around for botanical gardens with gift shops, although all the interesting botanical gardens seem to be Tampa and southward.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I went to OOA back when it was outside Columbus, OH and got quite a few Crinum from him. I will try to find the other place on the internet to see a bit more of what they have. I'm hoping to fly in early on the 1st day and then leave late on the 3rd so I can go to a couple of places....the 2nd day is taken up with the actual reason for being there!! Guess I could try to extend the stay and visit my brother in WPB, but hard to find the time as always :o) Dan

• paulzie32
    13 years ago

There's Bob Smoley's Gardenworld an hour and forty-five minutes north west of Orlando, in Dunnellon... an easy ride!
    I started from Universal Studios. Here's the map and directions:
    Universal to Gardenworld - Google Maps

If you'd rather not drive, view some nice plants and spend a nice day walking around, there's Leu Gardens in Orlando... but it's just a Botanical Garden.
    Harry P Leu Gardens
    1920 North Forest Avenue
    Orlando, FL
    (407) 246-2620

A few hours south west in Sarasota is Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.

Hope that helps a bit...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Smoley's Gardenworld

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Dan,

In Sarasota, at least in 2002, there is / was Tropiflora - get thee there! Adeniums, Operculycarias, Burseras, and of course just about every bromeliad, too, among lots of other things.

While you're in Sarasota, avail yourself of the Ringling Museum - it's simply a wonderful place to spend many hours.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Jeff -

Great call on Tropiflora! Forgot about them - I believe they are still active, though I have not received one of their Cargo Reports in a while.

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

here you go...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropiflora

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone....I went to Bob Smoley's when it was about 1 mile from my house.....not very impressive when it was in Gibsonia, but maybe it has improved since moving to FLA. I will try to get to Tropiflora and would love to get to the bonsai nursery as well :o) Dan

• paulzie32
    13 years ago

Hey Dan, If you're going to head to the West Coast anyway.... And you want to see a HUGE Collection of Bonsai, Check out Eve's Garden. They have plants from as low as $5 to as high as several Thousand! They ship and supply (commerically) all over.

Eve's Garden Gifts
    5602 Land O Lakes Blvd
    Land O Lakes, FL 34639
    http://www.evesgardengifts.com/

Real Easy to get to from Orlando. Take Route 4 West (65.8mi), Take Exit 9-Route 75 towards Ocala (14.4mi). Get off Exit 275, route 56/54 and go left towards Tarpon Springs/Land-O-Lakes (5.3mi). Make a Right on Route 41 (Land-O-Lakes Blvd) and you'll see it about 3 miles down on the right.

If you grow your own bonsais, you can get all the supplies you need there! It's about 3.5 miles from where I live and I've been there many times... Very impressive the first few times... but once you've made you're own bonsais, it's just ok :)
    Take lots of pictures for us all, where ever you end up.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

...actually, you should save up all of your pennies and pick up one of Jim Smith's Portulacaria afras...like this one (don't let it scare you, I believe he has a wide assortment of all sizes and budgets).

The nursery is actually called Dura-Stone Nursery (at www.JimSmithbonsai.com), the website says "Dura-Stone Nursery and has been providing quality bonsai and pre-bonsai to his wholesale customers. The Nursery is open to the public from 8-5 on weekdays or by appointment."

You may want to check with them before you go (if you do) because it says open to the public, but then mentions wholesale customers. I bought a tree from him a few years back (retail), but it was shipped to me.

Enjoy!

T

Here is a link that might be useful: The P. afra of my dreams...

• paulzie32
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks Tom! I've never heard of Dura-Stone but Boy, Jim SURE has some Incredible Bonsais! Very nice, So many are sold already though... Not that I'd be purchasing a $2000 bonsai anytime soon :) But always nice to look at!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Paulzie -

There are definitely some pricey (and highly desirable!) plants there. Jim is renowned for his work in general but, in particular, with P. afra.

There are, however, trees there for those with much less discretionary income (like me!). Like this baobab I picked up from him a number of years ago.

{{gwi:488859}}

T

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:488858}}

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love the Baobab.....are these tough to grow in an inhospitable climate like yours and mine without a greenhouse? Dan

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Dan -

This tree spends the winter bare and dry in my sunroom. I water it lightly once a month until March, then I pick up the rate slightly depending upon what the tree is doing.

I have two around this size...one of them is starting to bud ever so slightly right now.

T

• coke_nut
    10 years ago

Hi everyone !
    If your on Facebook. You can check out some of the Exotics I have @ www.facebook.com/debbiesbenches
    Thanks
    Debbie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio