Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade Plant, Powdery Mildew or Salt?

Posted by Drezden none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 13:50

There is this white "dust" on a lot of my jade plant leaves, some have larger or more of it than others.. here are 2 pictures, this substance can be easily brushed off the leaves, but I don't know if it's powdery mildew or salt build-up being excreted?

Thanks

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/Scott61289/DSCF3981.jpg

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/Scott61289/DSCF3980.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade Plant, Powdery Mildew or Salt?

It's had no adverse effects on my plant, I know the picture makes my jade plant look unhealthy, but I recently pruned off half the leaves on my plant to promote more branching, so that's why they look sparse. It's a very healthy plant.

o

More distinct pictures would give me more of a clue as to what the problem might be, but almost all problems of this nature start at the rootball - overwatering, root mealy bug, etc. Depot it and check out the rootball for health.

o

I agree with Cactus. More distinct pics will help.
Looks like a small-leaf variety of Jade, of course I may be wrong.

The second pic seems to show common excretions from the hydathodes.
Tap-water and soils accumulating salts often cause this.

Josh

o

Hydathodes are whodathaughts from west of the Rockies, Josh?

o

Thank you all for your responses, It's hard to get a clear picture because it's a small leaf jade, and I've been pruning it to keep leaf size down, so the leaves in the pictures are already very small and it's hard for my camera to focus. I'll try to get better pictures

What would I be looking for on the roots for bad signs? Or will they be so pronounced I'll know just by looking at them.

o

Okay, this picture is better, but still not perfect.. but it's the best I'll be able to do?

What do you think?

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/Scott61289/photo.jpg

o

Could this be helpful?

Here is a link that might be useful: possibly what's happening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here