Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennyhal

The rest of my purchase

pennyhal
12 years ago

These are the rest of my purchase. I bought several two inch pots to go in a small space. Hopefully, they won't grow into trees.

I have no clue what this is. I assume it's a succulent.

{{gwi:489140}}

Could this be Sempervium rojin?

{{gwi:489141}}

Another Echeveria? I love the symmetry of the plant.

{{gwi:489143}}

I'll take a guess that it's a graptoveria of sorts?

{{gwi:489145}}

I was told this was an Echeveria, but it looks too fat to me.

{{gwi:489146}}

I think common Echeverias of sorts. I bought two of the bottom one. Love the green color.

{{gwi:489147}}

{{gwi:489148}}

This just has to be one of my favorites. I was told it is an Echeveria laui, but the colors don't look like a photo I saw of one in a book. But then, colors are so variable. {{gwi:489149}}

I might go back and get a couple more of "laui" as I think it is so pretty and hope there are no more jumping plant around!

Penny

Comments (14)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

More nice plants, Penny! :)

1. Rhipsalis baccifera ssp. horrida
    2. yes, Sempervivum, but there are many red types
    3. xGraptoveria 'Silver Star'
    4. You are correct, XGraptoveria 'Debbi' (note: no 'e' at name ending)
    5. xGraptoveria 'Amethorum'
    6. Left looks like Echeveria 'Spruce-Oliver', right is a Sempervivum sp.
    7. Echeveria 'Violet Queen' on the left & on the right, Echeveria albicans which has been reclassified & is now considered Echeveria elegans

That was fun!

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Rosemarie has done it again. And Penny has picked some of my favorite plants. I have them all. Be careful with watering 'Amethorum'. Leaves have a tendency to spit open with too much water. It is not fatal, only disfiguring. It is a very unusual Echeveria, and looks like a Pachyveria on steroids. Graptoveria 'Silver Star' is bit tender, and needs protection from winter rain and cold. All my plants are outside, and the big 'Silver Star' clump I've had for many years had to be rescued from an imminent rot down, and I now have a bunch of little ones in my plant hospital and rain refuge. There are so many Sempervivum cultivars that look similar, making identification without provenance tricky.

Brad

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Oops, I forgot the last one. That is Echeveria 'Lola'. Echeveria laui is a much different looking plant. You're less likely to find it for sale & it would probably cost you a pretty penny, Penny! :P

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

Sweet! You shop like I do. Great group of plants. Paula

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Very nice!

Be extra careful with Graptoveria 'Silver Star'. It can be fussy about water getting down between the leaves and causing rot.

• pennyhal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, you are like a walking encyclopedia! Your depth of knowledge continually astounds me and your willingness to assist others is very appreciated! I thought the pot with two Echeverias in it were two of the same plant. Sharp eyes you have there! I had a hard time understanding the lady when she told me the name of lola, so the name mistake is mine.

Thanks for the good warnings about the water sensitve plants too. It's suppose to rain tomorrow, thankfully, so I'll take extra care of the sensitive ones. Don't want them to croak on their first day at their new home.

Well, Brad, I'm still trying to learn to correctly identify a sempervium from an echeveria! There seem to be a lot of them all with tiny little differences, so it's understandably hard to keep track of.

Penny

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh, I just love xGraptoveria 'Silver Star.' Yours is such a nice plant. Less than a month ago, I found a very small one at my local grocery store and posted a photo here, and you said then that you were admiring it...well, only right that you found yourself one, and it's a stunner.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Ha ha, Penny, that's what my Mama said about me in a letter to friends~when I was in the 4th grade! (I found the letter after she died.) I am just an obsessed plantaholic/addicted succulent collector! You have already learned so much...and over time will find all those little differences that help to tell 'em apart! I started with plants in general 16 yrs ago & heavily into succulents just 6 or 7 yrs ago. If you're interested in something, you remember bits & pieces of info, shove 'em in your brain & hope you can retrieve them when you want! LOL

• marquest
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, the plant Psychic, you are so good.

Penny you picked up some beauties. I love them all. I am green with envy.

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Rosie: I was just thinking the same thing about you, too! How you know so much and can identify so many plants seemingly without effort is just astounding! :) I can only hope that one day I'll be half as good.

Penny: A glorious selection. I lovelovelove photo #6, plant on the right - the Sempervivium sp. (?), with the red towards the center of the rosette. Just lovely!

Brad: I got these two plants below back in December (I think), both with no labels. The one on the bottom, could that be the same as Penny's Graptoveria 'Amethorum'?

*CG*

{{gwi:489151}}

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Come to think of it, I think Penny's got another one of my picks. Could this be the same as her xGraptoveria 'Debbi'?

{{gwi:489153}}

{{gwi:489155}}

{{gwi:489157}}

Penny, great minds think alike! Again, very nice picks!

*CG*

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Ha ha, thanks, Marquest & Chapparalgirl!

Yes, CG, your plant is xGraptoveria 'Amethorum' (which is cross between Echeveria purpusorum and Graptopetalum amethystinum)....& yes, the other is xGraptoveria 'Debbi', and if you don't already know the top plant in the 1st pic is Sedum burrito. :)

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Rosie: Awesome, thank you so much, for all three IDs! I need to keep you in my pocket for just such occasions. ;)

I actually found this thread (from way back in '06) whilst searching for info on the 'Amenthorum':

Hybrid

So, it has apparently made an appearance before. :)

*CG*

• pennyhal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think what happens is that we see a plant that we think is beautiful, so we look for that plant. Pretty soon we all have it! If we don't see it, we don't want it. Just like chocolate...well, maybe not.

I've been looking around and just found out on Dave's Garden that Rhipsalis baccifera ssp. horrida is a cactus. I told my husband I wasn't buying that plant because it had spikes. He said maybe it was a succulent because it was soft and furry and it jumped off the table and the rest is history.

CG, your plant look exactly like mine! Very lovely!

The Sempervium might be 'Old Copper' that I found a photo of it at the Mountain Crest Garden Nursery site. I had seen that plant online and had been looking for it, I just couldn't remember where I saw it. Anyhow, I hope this link works. If not, you might search around the site a little to find it.

Don't know if it's ok to post links to a nursery here. Figure it'll get deleted if not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Crest Gardens