Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epiphyllum Bloom?

Posted by christy2828 7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 14:24

This started growing about 3 months ago, I thought it was going to be a bloom. But it doesn't look like it is turning into a bud, and now it looks like it has roots growing off of it. What is it? If it is a bloom, should I be ferrtilizing it? Watering it? Or just leave it alone? Thanks for any advice :) Christy

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epiphyllum Bloom?

That's not a flower, it's a new stem. Typically, Epiphyllums need to be a bit larger before they will flower. Yours definitely appears to be Epiphyllum oxypetalum, which often grows these long, leggy cane-like stems that shoot upward. Over time that long "cane" will develop new growths along its sides that will appear more like the flat, leaf-like growth that you can already see on the rest of your plant. E. oxypetalum can have a very shrub-like growth habit with these long, most often vertical runners it sends up. I assume that in its native habitat, these runners allow the cactus to scale upward or outward in the trees they inhabit.

Mike

o

Thanks for the info :) Christy

o

I should also point out that Epis do sometimes flower before they are of "flowering size" - if you want more information about Epiphyllums, a great resource is Epiforums.

Mike

o

you have a very healthy young oxypetallum. where there one spike there's one right behind it hiding. these sweet guys can grow to be over 30ft tall, but don't worry it won't get that tall in your house unless you have a very tall room :) as your plant grows and the spikes become to tall you can take a cutting from them and start more plants they take little care and will in time give you some great blooms,these are night bloomers, here a pic. of one of the flower last summer. the smell is very sweet and the flowers are worth the wait. if you have any questions please ask
good luck with your oxy.

Bear

o

Age is a factor with this variety, usually 3 years until they bloom.

o

My epi is 30 years old!! My grandmother told me to pinch about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off that shoot and it will produce more leaves. Mine did!! It is huge.

o

So can I just cut that off at any spot? It's well over 3 feet long now, and it's still too cold to put it outside. I want to repot it, is now an appropriate time? Thanks :) Christy

o

Hi christy, you can take cuttings any time of the year, let the cut ends dry out for a few days and then plant them, mist lightly every other day until you see new growth then water.water when dry, you can make your cuttings as small as 6inches long or cut your cane in half and they will grow I do my cutting in 1 foot lenght for a fuller look.here's a pic of one of my pot of cuttings after a little over a year.

Bear

o

My Epi, when it decides to bloom, (Night blooming orchid cactus) starts budding in June to July..it's been two years since flowering..
Is there anything I can do to promote flowers this summer? I bought it in 1995..have taken several cuttings, starting new plants..Could pruning be one reason it hasn't flowered? BTW, pruning was done in winter, nowhere near the time it'd normally bud.
What type of fertilizer do Epis need? Perhpas I've been using the wrong kind? And how often?
Because of cuttings, and breakage over the years, the poor plants length is all over the place..from 1' to 4'..LOL..It looks awful.
Would cutting back help, or again, would this prevent summer blooms? Thanks, Toni

o

Hi Toni

cutting back can help if your cutting off the long canes, that seem to want to grow to the sky, my larger one around 7ft.after cutting back blooms every year, it blooms off old growth and my smaller one 5ft tall blooms only when it feels like it but the flowers on the small one are larger. I don't feed them in the winter and only water when there dry, I use miracle-gro for house plants starting in march but only half of the amount thats called for I found that when I use the full amount they don't seem to like it, with all my epies I watch to see how they act to how much I feed them some don't like full strength and some do better with it, like I always say the canes make lots of new plants to enjoy.

Bear

o

This is the same plant, about 5 1/2 months later. It is huge!!! Still no sign of any blooms, but I'm not really expecting any this year. Would be nice, though!!! It is kept outside, but I couldn't get a good pic outside, and the mosquitos are biting. So I brought it inside :) Christy

Photobucket

o

Christy - Wow you are doing such a great job with your epi!I have two that are in smaller pots, got them last summer.No blooms for me either:0( Still waiting.

Anyone have any idea how long it take an epi to put on there first blooms?

Rigo

o

they can bloom after about 3 years, I'v seen them bloom younger but it puts a stress on the plant. I have 2 older oxy setting buds now and with any luck the other will set buds soon, if the rain don't knock off the buds. your plant looks great what ever your going keep it up.

Bear

o

Ya once they get to a certain size, they can be a handfull to move around. This picture is of mother plant (very old) & of one of her daughters (around 10 years old). They have both been cut back rather drastically over the years.
After a while you can run out of good homes for all the cuttings you can make from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: two adult plants

o

Oh my anya_101 loved your pictures of all you cactus ! You sound like me can't learn enough about them or have enough of them!----But the adult (mother and daughter)are wonderful!Thanks for share and congrats on being cancer free !Keep smiling!

o

I have what my mother calls "Christ in a Manger". She got a starter in the 80's from a co-worker who had inherited a plant from her grandmother. My mother said hers never bloomed and I inherited it from her about 7 years ago. Of course I cut it back and it breaks here and there from time to time. I would love for it to bloom. This year I will not cut it at all and see what happens. Any tips on how to keep it looking nice? It usually flops over and lays in the floor. It appears from some of the pics that some of you have staked them and tied them up? I have a wire plant circle holding it up right now. HELP!

o

sweetipie ~ Epis bloom from old wood, so you don't want to cut them back and they also like to be root bound. Your on the right path by some type of stake or the wire circle to hold it up.Here in Texas I keep mine in full sun during the summer months and had my first flush of blooms, this was so exciting for me :0)As for watering I let mine dry out before the next watering, never keep them soaked.

Well I hope this helps you out and I am sure others will post information for you.

Rigo

o

Rigo, I haven't pruned, but the outdside birds do it for me..lol..
I can't tell you the number of times 3-4 birds perched on a leaf..the leaf shakes when birds move..The birds seem to enjoy the free ride..lol..
In the meantime, between birds and our dog, the longest of leaves break.(dog weighs 172 lbs) Natural pruning!
I had no idea flowers formed on old wood. To think I've given out many cuttings..
Perhaps it isn't getting enough fertilizer. Epi also needs soil or some type of medium. It's been in the same pot over 10 years. Every so often it gets a little fresh soil, and maybe 3 feedings per year.

Does anyone know if Epis should be grown in soil or bark? What type of fertilizer is best? What about pH?
Will the answers apply to the type of Epi? I have smaller Epi's, too..some came in soil, some were sent as cuttings. Thanks, Toni

nightorchid1

bulb1-08

5 or 6 yrs ago, a nursery sent free dwarf Amaryllis bulbs with my order. I dumped them in the Epi pot, watered, and never thought about them again. A few yrs ago, blades of green shot up, then a pretty pink flower. I had no idea what they were until reading through plant journals.

epi9-08

Not a good pic,an Epi flower taken in the morning when bud is closed. Hence the name, 'Night Blooming Orchid Cactus.' Toni

o

Thanks Rigo! Maybe I'll have pitures of beautiful blooms one day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here