Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Might Happen?

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:59

I have had this Agave for more than 30 years. It was given to me by a dear friend, Louis Kilbert. It has survived more whack jobs than I care to count and always continues to grow a beautiful head. During the winter, I rarely give it any water. In fact, about all it gets is what drips through from the plants above it when I water, which is why I have this situation. Today, while out in the greenhouse, I noticed the crown listing to the side and found it had rotted; what we call crown rot in the orchid business. I cleaned the center meristem area back to green looking material and treated with cinnamon. Because this is a solitary Agave and the meristem may be comprised, would I be correct in assuming its days are numbered and with time all of the leaves will eventually die and I will no longer enjoy this plant that I've had the pleasure of for so many years, which is what usually happens with orchids? Or, might this cause it to grow "pups" from the stem; something that rarely happens with orchids? FYI: That is cinnamon in the crown.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 15:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Might Happen?

Biker, hopefully, your Agave will produce pups.

How much water fell from hanging containers? Seems it would take a lot to cause rot.

Has it been sunny or cloudy in MI? Is your green house cold?

Oh yes, better chance Agave will produce pups than orchids.

o

Thanks, Hopeful. I have a small hobby greenhouse and because this Agave poses some hazards with its needle sharp tips, I keep it under the bench and have done so for years during the winter months with no problems. It was a shock to me finding it this way!!!!! It could be that we have had an especially cold winter and things just didn't dry out fast enough; this is the main reason crown rot occurs with orchids, too. So hopefully, we will grow some pups this summer. For now, it will be kept warm and DRY!

o

Yep, this winter has been terribly cold. Icy.

It's possible, since your Agave is on the ground, the temp is even cooler.
I noticed frost-bitten leaves on several plants in my green house that sit on the ground..The same plants have lived in the exact spot for years..'during winter.'

I agree about orchids...my poor babies are kept dry during winter because the room is so chilly..
They're not in a gh, they're in the house..lol.

Good luck, Biker. Hopefully, your agave will produce pups..It's sad, 30-years-old.

o

Just a quick update.... I guess it is better to be lucky than good, sometimes. I noticed today that the meristem area is growing out so maybe the damage didn't extend as deeply as I first thought. You can see from the first picture, a significant number of leaves were rotted. Of course time will tell but things are looking better.

o

In this picture, you can see the advancing growth in the center as compared to the original picture for this thread and it's only been a week!

o

Wow that looks awesome! That's one tough plant!

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here