Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

What Might Happen?

I have had this Agave for more than 30 years. It was given to me by a dear friend, Louis Kilbert. It has survived more whack jobs than I care to count and always continues to grow a beautiful head. During the winter, I rarely give it any water. In fact, about all it gets is what drips through from the plants above it when I water, which is why I have this situation. Today, while out in the greenhouse, I noticed the crown listing to the side and found it had rotted; what we call crown rot in the orchid business. I cleaned the center meristem area back to green looking material and treated with cinnamon. Because this is a solitary Agave and the meristem may be comprised, would I be correct in assuming its days are numbered and with time all of the leaves will eventually die and I will no longer enjoy this plant that I've had the pleasure of for so many years, which is what usually happens with orchids? Or, might this cause it to grow "pups" from the stem; something that rarely happens with orchids? FYI: That is cinnamon in the crown.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 15:06

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional