Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

Still Winter

notolover
10 years ago

Haven't visited here for a while, but I thought I'd check in.

We're getting out of winter for a while and heading for Phoenix--plan on going to at least one cactus nursery for some Echinopsis hybrids. I got some beauties from Arizona Cactus Sales via mail order and I'm hoping they have some at the nursery that I don't have.

I'll be placing an order to Huntington for some hybrids as well. Since I am getting rid of most of my other cacti I should change my user name :-)

AND I owe someone a big thank you.

I took the advice about adding vinegar to my water last summer and the results have been great. Someone suggested that the high alkalinity of the water could cause the ugly brown discoloration at the base of the plant as a defense (it's not corking). Since many of my plants were in that condition I decided to give it a try. I think the high alkalinity in the water retards growth as well. I'm sure most people don't have to worry about this, but I do.

For the most part, the new growth is very green and healthy. Some of the ugliest ones have responded by putting out offsets. I won't know for sure that this works until I can observe new plants over the course of a few years to see if they develop the brown "uglies".

I'm excited to notice some buds on cactus that haven't bloomed before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That's it for now, I'll let you know if I find some new prickly "babies". And you know I'll bore you with pics when blooming season starts :-)