Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show us your winter colors

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 15:27

I love the winter colors that succulents put on even better than their flowers. Shows your winter colors. PLEASE!. I will start the ball rolling with a few of mine. Crassula capiella "campfire. This one is in part shade most of the day. I should put it in the sun and see what happens. Click on images for a larger image.
DSC_0008

Kalanchoi luciae winter colors

Sedum
DSC_0007

Opuntia aurea "Combe's Winter's Glow"

Opuntia

Aloe Fire Ranch and Aloe dorotheai
Aloe

Aloe striata ( I have not kept up with watering)

Aloe striata

Aloe cameroni

Aloe cameroni

Aloe capitata

Aloe cameroni

Mystery opuntia

Mistery opuntia

Echeveria harmsii

Echeveria harmsii

Opuntia "dark Night"
Opuntia

Kalanchoe luciae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show us your winter colors

No winter here, but lovely colours. The Echeveria is very nicely marked, I think. Lovely group of plants.

o

I can't, since they look so awful in their etiolation desolation I'd have them taken away by the authorities.

o

Great group of winter colors, Mara!

Adding just a dozen from my jungle, click for larger views:

photo 063Crassulacapitellasspthyrsiflora_zps30d4ecaa.jpg  photo 059AeoniumKokino_zps896c5a91.jpg  photo 053CrassulaHummelsSunset_zpsef7ffb63.jpg

photo DSC_4236CrassulaHobbitlgone_zps71ac5229.jpg  photo DSC_4234Aeoniumunkhyb_zpsd5674073.jpg  photo DSC_4233AeoniumarboreummbAlbovariegatum_zps9d492f99.jpg

photo DSC_4231xGraptosedumCASunset_zps4a7d063d.jpg  photo DSC_4223Aeoniumunsurewhichhyb_zpscc92185c.jpg  photo DSC_4211BacklitAeoniumZwartkin_zpsb54dd5ac.jpg

photo DSC_4170_zps3b4c0343.jpg  photo DSC_4167_zps5ed8f762.jpg  photo DSC_4162_zps8bb71ad9.jpg

Some may be wearing the color they have year-round! =)

o

I knew I would get a rise from a californian. Any Arizonans with rosy plants . Here are a few more while I am at it. They give me such joy. Year after winter.

Aloe variagata

Untitled

Aloe peglarae

o

This one is probably prettier now than it is in the Spring. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of it....

o

OooEee, more gorgeous plants, Mara & greybird!

GB, I believe that is a Euphorbia. Species name won't come to my mind, as much as I would LIKE it to do so. :P I have NEVER seen one take on those colors! Fabulous!

o

Hrmm. I'm not sure if that Euphorbia could be 'Ascot Rainbow' or another more colorful hybrid. I haven't grown it (yet) to know how its colors really develop.

o

Greybird, I think Colleen has it...Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow'! Yours is more beautifully colored than any I've seen on the web. =) Now I WANT it! LOL

o

I love those Euphorbias but none of that vein of the genus will take our heat and rainless humidity (it is not fair). I have tried the E wulfenii (SP) and others but they whimp out even with watering. I will have to stick with the E. rigida and E myresinites. They will put up with my brutal form of gardening.

o

Thanks for the ID, I believe that's it! It's prettier in the winter, isn't it! And Mara, maybe you should try it...our summers here in SE Missouri are plenty hot and humid. But like you said, I've had other Euphorbias that just don't make it.

o

Alas , it is also the length of our intense summers. I will admire yours from the sidelines.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:51

The Sticks-on-Fire colors up the best here. The Aloe colors are in the flowers, too mild for good foliage color.

photo aa2083_zpsb6d57506.jpg

o

Be still my beating heart. I need an A. marlothi, a huge A. marlothii

o

photo DSCF0854.jpg

photo DSCF0861.jpg

Was going to show more,but that stupid photobucket won't let me.I need to find another place to share my pictures,before PB drives me over the edge!!
Kathi

o

Beautiful pics! Mara, Aloe cameronii has always been a favorite of mine...that color, that texture! And Rosemarie, you know I'm partial to your Jades...wish I could get that kind of Winter color on mine ;-)

This is a succulent at my brother's house in Sacramento, where I visited yesterday. He started this as a cutting, from a plant growing outside of a business. I can't wait to see it trimmed...lots of back-budding.

Josh

o

Mara, you've got some terrific colors going on out there! I grabbed a few shots for this thread last week. Glad it popped up again, almost forgot.

Cheiridopsis denticulata SB620 Springbok
Still pre-denticle.
Cheiridopsis denticulata SB620 Springbok

Lithops divergens v amethystina C270 - next in line to repot.
Lithops divergens v amethystina C270

Monilaria globosa Riethuis - very inappropriate
Monilaria globosa Riethuis

and then I got all artsy with it.
Various Mesemb Seedlings - 5 months old

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here