Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Show us your winter colors

I love the winter colors that succulents put on even better than their flowers. Shows your winter colors. PLEASE!. I will start the ball rolling with a few of mine. Crassula capiella "campfire. This one is in part shade most of the day. I should put it in the sun and see what happens. Click on images for a larger image.
{{gwi:491143}}

{{gwi:491145}}

Sedum
{{gwi:491146}}

Opuntia aurea "Combe's Winter's Glow"

{{gwi:491147}}

Aloe Fire Ranch and Aloe dorotheai
{{gwi:491148}}

Aloe striata ( I have not kept up with watering)

{{gwi:491149}}

Aloe cameroni

{{gwi:491150}}

Aloe capitata

{{gwi:491151}}

Mystery opuntia

{{gwi:491153}}

Echeveria harmsii

{{gwi:491154}}

Opuntia "dark Night"
{{gwi:491155}}

Kalanchoe luciae

Comments (16)

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

No winter here, but lovely colours. The Echeveria is very nicely marked, I think. Lovely group of plants.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I can't, since they look so awful in their etiolation desolation I'd have them taken away by the authorities.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Great group of winter colors, Mara!

Adding just a dozen from my jungle, click for larger views:
    {{gwi:491156}} {{gwi:491157}} {{gwi:491158}}

{{gwi:491159}} {{gwi:491160}} {{gwi:491161}}

{{gwi:491162}} {{gwi:491163}} {{gwi:491164}}

{{gwi:491165}} {{gwi:491166}} {{gwi:491167}}

Some may be wearing the color they have year-round! =)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew I would get a rise from a californian. Any Arizonans with rosy plants . Here are a few more while I am at it. They give me such joy. Year after winter.

{{gwi:491168}}

{{gwi:491169}}

{{gwi:491170}}

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

This one is probably prettier now than it is in the Spring. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of it....

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

OooEee, more gorgeous plants, Mara & greybird!

GB, I believe that is a Euphorbia. Species name won't come to my mind, as much as I would LIKE it to do so. :P I have NEVER seen one take on those colors! Fabulous!

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Hrmm. I'm not sure if that Euphorbia could be 'Ascot Rainbow' or another more colorful hybrid. I haven't grown it (yet) to know how its colors really develop.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Greybird, I think Colleen has it...Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow'! Yours is more beautifully colored than any I've seen on the web. =) Now I WANT it! LOL

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love those Euphorbias but none of that vein of the genus will take our heat and rainless humidity (it is not fair). I have tried the E wulfenii (SP) and others but they whimp out even with watering. I will have to stick with the E. rigida and E myresinites. They will put up with my brutal form of gardening.

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ID, I believe that's it! It's prettier in the winter, isn't it! And Mara, maybe you should try it...our summers here in SE Missouri are plenty hot and humid. But like you said, I've had other Euphorbias that just don't make it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alas , it is also the length of our intense summers. I will admire yours from the sidelines.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

The Sticks-on-Fire colors up the best here. The Aloe colors are in the flowers, too mild for good foliage color.

{{gwi:491171}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Be still my beating heart. I need an A. marlothi, a huge A. marlothii

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

{{gwi:491173}}

{{gwi:491175}}

Was going to show more,but that stupid photobucket won't let me.I need to find another place to share my pictures,before PB drives me over the edge!!
    Kathi

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics! Mara, Aloe cameronii has always been a favorite of mine...that color, that texture! And Rosemarie, you know I'm partial to your Jades...wish I could get that kind of Winter color on mine ;-)

This is a succulent at my brother's house in Sacramento, where I visited yesterday. He started this as a cutting, from a plant growing outside of a business. I can't wait to see it trimmed...lots of back-budding.

Josh

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Mara, you've got some terrific colors going on out there! I grabbed a few shots for this thread last week. Glad it popped up again, almost forgot.

Cheiridopsis denticulata SB620 Springbok
    Still pre-denticle.
    {{gwi:491177}}

Lithops divergens v amethystina C270 - next in line to repot.
    {{gwi:491178}}

Monilaria globosa Riethuis - very inappropriate
    {{gwi:491180}}

and then I got all artsy with it.
    {{gwi:491181}}

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022