Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero6

Alphabet plants : B

rosemariero6
12 years ago

Okay, I took the initiative...a separate thread for each letter...

this time plants that start with the letter B!

I'll start with

Bulbine frutescens (the orange bloom variety-will post others later)

{{gwi:491311}}

Now let's see yours!!

Comments (25)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

OK, a bit of a cheat coming up here folks! At the risk of being banned from this, I'm going to post a old pic of my Burro tail cactus, aka Sedum morganianum as I'm going to struggle a lot not only with 'B', but many other letters in c&sucs!! lol!! It's a lot bigger now and flowers each year. I was given a 3inch cutting by my Ozzie aunt on our first visit to her in 2002. Here goes!
    Gill from the UK.
    {{gwi:139519}}

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Don't have many photos of the letter B

Boswelia nana
    {{gwi:491314}}

Boophane disticha
    {{gwi:491316}}

• dellis530
    12 years ago

I agree about having a seperate thread for each letter. Greenclaws, common names are allowed. Nice sedum, I had one once and I kept knocking leaves off untill it looked pretty bad. Yours looks perfectly intact, lol.

Heres my "B"

Aloe broomii
    {{gwi:491318}}

Euphorbia bougheyi
    {{gwi:491321}}

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops! I should've posted the rules. Partial: Can be a botanical, scientific or common name. Can be the whole genus name or a cultivar name. The only rule is it has to be a plant you own or used to own. (I goofed & posted 1 that wasn't mine in the 'A's.)

So, Gill...no, we won't ban you...just heckle you! J/K!! Ditto what Denise said-yours looks great-mine dwindled to nothing.

Great B bloom, Keith! SO happy you posted your Boophane. I love its squiggly leaves!

Ooo, speaking of squiggly, Denise...your Euphorbia bougheyi is fabulous! You're reminding me...I must go out & see if my A. broomii is still alive!

One of my (Bryophyllum now Kalanchoe x houghtonii:
    {{gwi:481455}}

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Hmm... Well, in that case, maybe I do have some B's... :)

I'm gonna try and stick with going by genus name; and, as it turns out, I do have a 'B' after all!

Beaucarnea recurvata "Pony Tail Palm"
    {{gwi:491323}}

*CG*

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

Keith, that Boophane is Bootiphul!

Rosemarie, I'm a sucker for Bryos even though I fear them a little. I was warned about them and it was all true. Sneaky little stowaways. Have you noticed that the leaves will grow triple the size in the shade? I can provide a pic if you haven't seen it.

Denise, I love that A. broomi. I have some grown from seed, still very small.
    Anyway, here are my B's.

Bergeranthus artus
    {{gwi:491325}}

Braunsia geminata
    {{gwi:491327}}

• squishyplant
    12 years ago

I was hopin Keiths Boophane would pop up in the B's (I knew it would).

Anyway, Here's my Baynesia lophophora

{{gwi:491329}}

Matthew

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Hi...not sure this is aloud posting a picture of a plant already posted...I have 3 different varieties of Burro tails....sorry if this is wrong....linda

{{gwi:84702}}

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Linda

Wow I didnt know there were different kinds of Burrows tails. Its ok to post the same plants, and its ok to have more that one post in a letter thread, they still start with B, so post away. Its all good.

Denise

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Ok, don't know if this belongs in the A or the B list, but here goes
    Agave Blue Flame
    {{gwi:491330}}

Agave Blue Glow
    {{gwi:491331}}

• hijole
    12 years ago

Awesome looking letter B plants everyone, they all look show room ready, But the one that I think, steals the show goes to............ Caudex 1 Yeah that one under, Boophane disticha That is one awesome looking spieces.

It almost looks like the Aloe Plicatelis (spell ck.) I know it's not it but are they related?

Not sure if it's ok to comment on this thread just to compliment but I just wanted to say, Hijole!!! That plant is looking good!!

Greg

• katluvr
    12 years ago

{{gwi:491332}}
    Bowiea volubilis ' climbing onion'

{{gwi:491333}}
    Bombax ellipticum, this plant usually has really big leaves but it is dormant right now just a lump!
    {{gwi:491335}}
    Bursera fagaroides, also dormant right now, 'Sunny' is checkin it out!

ROSEMARIE~ beautiful bloom!
    GILL~ very nice Burro tail very well grown.
    MATTHEW~ very unusaul plants!
    RYAN~ How neat I have never seen this type of plants before.
    Denise~ you have a fantastic collection ilove the aloe very spikey, Ihad the euphorbia years ago , very nice I miss my collection.
    KEITH~ Wowowow!!! love the blue pot also just beautiful!!!
    PENNY~ Your Agaves are so colorful, wish I lived where I wouldnt have to lug them in and out,and love the pottery to!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Sorry, I had to go common name on one, and a dupe on another...not too many 'B's in my collection either...

Bishop's cap
    {{gwi:491337}}

{{gwi:491339}}

Bursera fagaroides...just starting to stir...
    {{gwi:491340}}

T

• paul_
    12 years ago

Love the flowers on that Bulbine frutescens!

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Oh! Oh! Bishop's Cap! Oh oh oh! *swoon* *fall down*

Loooooooooooove!

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

Mine are mostly duplicates.

{{gwi:491341}}

Bryophyllum fedeschenkii AKA Kalanchoe

{{gwi:491342}}

Bishop's Cap

And a different one:

{{gwi:491344}}

Schlumbergera bridgesii

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

By the way, I really like seeing the ones that aren't so common as mine, and that are in such neat pots!

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

hanzrobo,

DO TELL us more about your fabulous Braunsia geminata--nativity, age, growing conditions, flowers, where acquired, etc...

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm back...Matthew, your Baynesia reminds me of another 'B' plant, but not mine, so just linking below to the pic I took of it, Bulbine bruynsii. Both unique-looking things!

Linda, you are a great grower of Sedum!! You can post whatever you like! We won't shoot you! :P Yes, the common names for these have been: Baby Burro's Tail for the Sedum burrito; Burro's Tail for the Sedum morganianum and Giant or Super Burro's Tail for xSedeveria 'Harry Butterfield'. I have seen several accounts as to which plants make up the parentage on that last one...so I won't even go there! Ha!

Penny, I have a tiny Agave 'Blue Glow' I hope grows up to look like yours! Beautiful!

You can comment all you like, Greg! No, the Boophane & Aloe plicatilis are not related. I can see how they look similar though.

Ronda, you have some very nice, unusual 'B' plants...but I think I like 'Sunny' best! So sweet!

Like the Bishop's Caps, Tom & neat-O bonsai!

Thanks, Paul! :)

Aseedisapromise...beautiful! I'm not sure I have ever seen a Bishop's Cap in bloom.

Wonderful plants, everyone!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Hammer's Bulbine bruynsii

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Well, it's kinda sad, looking at my almost complete lack of "B" plants!!

E. 'Black Prince'
    {{gwi:470794}}

Katluvr, love the kitty, first of all; second, the Bowiea volubilis and streaks of green peeking through is really beautiful.

Colleen

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Rosie: I LOVE that Bulbine you linked to!

*CG*

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

VERY nice 'Black Prince', Colleen!

I thought you'd like that Bulbine, Jessica! :)

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I will add a few of mine here, but try not to overload this page... just a few:

Browningia hertlingiana
    {{gwi:491346}}

Beaucarnea stricta
    {{gwi:491347}}

pot o Beaucarnea recurvatas
    {{gwi:491348}}

Beaucarnea gracilis
    {{gwi:491349}}

Beaucarnea guatamalensis
    {{gwi:491350}}

Beaucarnea guatamalensis variegated
    {{gwi:491351}}

Bulbine latifolia
    {{gwi:491352}}

Brighamia insignis
    {{gwi:491354}}

Bowiea volubilis
    {{gwi:491355}}

there, that wasn't so bad this time...

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry, just one more I just got today:

Beschorneria yuccoides variegated

{{gwi:491356}}

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OooEee, a whole bunch of neat plants!! And new names, too! Fabulous, Geoff! Never too late! Especially love all the variegated ones!