Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:33

I received these cuttings today:
 photo 100_0034_zps044ce934.jpg

Close-up of new cuttings:
 photo 100_0035_zps5d409ff4.jpg

Close-up of the TC (?) I presently have:
 photo 100_0028_zps276080df.jpg

I can't tell if the cuttings are same as TC I presently have? (last photo).

The cuttings are few segments long, could they be divided or is it better to root them as is?

Any suggestions appreciated. Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday cacti cuttings

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 16:42

It's much better to root them as they are, whether it's a Thanksgiving cactus (which that is) or a CC or an Easter. Really ideal cuttings are those that branch out, like a couple of yours are there, but the non-branching should do fine. With branching cuttings, rather than burying just the very ends, I personally tend to bury the cuttings in the soil so that they're slightly covered up to where the segment branches out. That may not be the best description, but what would be emerging from the soil would be the branching part of the cutting.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 16:51

o

I've always laid the cuttings flat on the surface of the rooting medium and make sure they are in contact with it. Then I water them and cover with clear plastic wrap. They will root at every joint and not rot as easy as when they are planted. After they root and get growing you can separate them and you will have several plants from each cutting. The last ones I did was three cuttings with 3 to 4 leaves each and in the end I had 10 plants.

o

Thank you for the tips, have to try Jademans way too.
Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here