Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in rocks

Posted by pennyhal 11Sunset23 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 15:36

Does anyone grow plants in/on rocks? We have some porous lava type rocks. My husband drilled out a hole about 3 inches wide and a couple of inches deep in it, then a 1/4inch hole through the bottom. Somehow, I don't think this will be a good home for plants. Seems to me that inspite of the bottom hole, the rock will absorb water, or water will get trapped in some of the spaces in the rock and it will keep the plant too wet.

Any opinions on this?

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in rocks

Sounds like it will make a fine container. Your soil mix is probably much more water retentive compared to the small surface area of the lava rock. Please post a pic when you have it planted with something.

o

I agree with Brad, and I've done your idea, Penny, but it was too much work. I now just grow in random piles of rock, but I'm considering building a cairn this year and plugging it with Semps and Sedums. I have a good supply of rockage, but what's in short supply is young back.

o

MY young back needs a forklift.

o

Love that this topic has just come up - I've just started to work on rock cairn-like structures to grow a cliff-dwelling cactus (Cleistocactus colademononsis). My goal is that the stems will drape down the cairn similar to how they would do so in the wild...I'll let you know how it turns out!

o

I have no clue why my husband did this out of the clear blue sky. I guess he's sort of "helping" me with my hobby. Today he found a bunch of pots for me in the garage. I'll take photos of the rock after he finishes drilling the small hole. Then I'll plant a Sempervium in it I think. It should work fine.

Penny

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 21:51

Photobucket

Al

o

Al is my hero. Really cool work there bud!!!

o

• Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 10:15

I have many Sempervium planted in lava rocks. Some plantings are over ten years old. I replace a few every once in a while after they bloom and die, but they usually fill in again on their own. I never took the time or effort to drill holes, just placed a little soil in a natural hole and then started a plant in it. I have rarely had any die, so your Sempervium should do very well. I will post pictures tonight when I have time to find them. Good luck, I am sure they will work beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here