Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Who has, or who can tell me about Hoodia

I have just heard about this diet trend and was suprised to find it related to our Huernia plants. Spiny and star fish flowers and the smell that goes with them.
Found some seeds on EBay, 5 for Hoodia Gordonii and 5 for Hoodia Ruschii. Under $10 so not too bad. Only the Gordonii is the diet type.
It is getting very rare and endangered due to the diet craze.
I heard there are 16 total in this group.
Does any body here have them or can tell me about them?
Stush.

Comments (13)

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Outside: Might need some sun/UV protection during mid summer heat they tend to like it cooler they can sun burn easily. ( can bounce back from the burn in two/ three weeks)

Re Propergating I get good results during late fall/ winter months inside under lighting One small branch ( off set) smaller in size can root to becone a new column ( kind of same as jade re propergating)

Soil: Millions of succulent mixes on the forum, pick one thats good draining 1 1 1 to 3 1 1. I think you could bennifit with a touch of humus for organic parts of a mix.

Flowring time is usually late cooler coftable summer

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush my friend, I wish I could help you out but I know nothing about that Hood, however out here in the Inland Empire, Los Angeles area you can ask me anything about this Hood and I'll help you out my friend, I think I've told you that already before too, so hows your garden doing ? :)

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nomen_nudum,
    Thanks, I am going to grow them as house plants unless they get too large.

Greg,
    I have had it with this weather. Loving your pictures around your house, I think I might come for a few weeks and stay with you.
    Ha ha, But if I do come by LA, I will give you a call.
    Stush

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush, Any lover of cacti & succulents is always welcomed here especially you, actually right now Im working in the garden having to put up with the heat :/ got to take a break every now & then and run inside for some ICED TEA lol... :)

See ya @

Greg

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Should grow and look nice in a bright light window. Late summer Pheee yeuuuu just as caution flies could still find a way in. Suggestion you could put it outside early - mid part of August and let the flies enjoy it outside or side porch.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I don't know if I am a help for growing them up in your neck of the woods. I grow Hoodia gordoni out in almost all day texas summer sun and heat. They do all right. One of them does get a little more sun tanned than the other. I get them through the winter which is much shorter than yours with almost NO water. I take them out when temps get around 45. Habitat photos have them with no shade around. I did not propagate them so I have no idea haow to grow itty buttyones. I got mine when they were in 4" pots.

{{gwi:491692}}

{{gwi:491693}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoodia set from a couple years ago

Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonamara,
    Thank you. They look great.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think I might have two different types. The sun tanned one is smaller in segments but more numerous. They do have some differences but it could just be a different population.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoodia habitat

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

They say that one can not grow hoodia from cuttings. It bruises instead of calluses. Interesting and good to know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoodia propagation

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Great thread! Thanks for adding all the info, Mara; your plants look VERY nice. I was going to mention the same thing, about propagation being done by seed, not from cuttings. I haven't tested that theory for myself but, looking at mine, I can't imagine making any cuts. The point where each branch meets the main stem is very thick. Most of the other Ascleps break into segments easily. In my experience with Ascleps, cuttings must be taken at the point of segmentation; any segment cut through the middle will die. Yours, Mara, are most likely 2 different plants, grown from seed. That means you can get some horns if they ever bloom together! I only have 1.

Stush, I don't have much to add except that I grow mine in a sunny spot right next to my stacking Crassulas. It seems to like plenty of light.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I got mine from two different nurseries about 6 months apart so I doubt they are from the same parent.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yes, let's get some seed!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hanzrobo,
    I have taken stem cuttings of my red Stapelia, in fact in the middle of the growth, and they have rooted just fine. I let them dry out for a few days and they shrunk down to almost cover the cuts. But I know about some being fussy. I have Euphorbia variegated corn cob and if cut , the whole stem rots down to the roots. The side shoots on them come off and root ok.
    I am lucky with seeds and hope to get a least 2 of each.
    Thanks Mara for all the info. I love the way yours look. Hope mine does ok.
    Stush