Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero6

Mesemb to ID plz~Rian, Ryan, anyone?

rosemariero6
11 years ago

At SDCSS show yesterday, a friend & I came across this mesemb in a mixed bowl (so no ID). We would like to know what it is, only figuring it is a mesemb! Ha ha!

Rian, Ryan, or anyone else know or want to take a crack at it?

{{gwi:492016}}

Thanks for your help!
Rosemarie/RoRo/Roma

Comments (16)

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Well, I can faintly see tiny dots and those teeth make me want to say Cheiridopsis. Don't write that in stone. I'd like to see what beach thinks too.

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry there's nothing in the pic for scale. These are short guys, not what I'm used to seeing for Cheiridopsis. One side isn't keeled either, but I don't know what to look for anyway. Thanks for the start, Ryan. We'll wait for more input. =)

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Honestly, I am not sure, Ihlenfeldia excavata or Cheiridopsis species. They are variable.

Ok, confirmed, Ihlenfeldia excavata!
    Previously known as C. vanbredai L.Bolus, Mostly around Steinkopf but also Concordia. Flowers usually pinkish to beige or rose!

This post was edited by Beachplants on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 5:04

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woohoo!! Thanks, Rian! I will let Reggie know...if you haven't already on XW forum. =) That is one I hadn't heard of...and couldn't find in my books! Will go tag in the album as well.

Side note: I see there's a new look to GW forum this morning. Nice, refreshing facelift!

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Pleasure! I did confirm my thoughts with SH, I have I. vanzylii, so it gave me some idea. Steven added the old name as well.

Love the new look!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was not brave enough to ask Steve! Glad you have the connection! I posted on XW to let Reggie know. Thanks again!

• reggie
    11 years ago

Hey, look who I found here!!!! Many thanks to all of you for the id and posting the pix. It's a cute little guy.

"Mostly around Steinkopf but also Concordia.." Not familiar with the areas of RSA yet. Winter grower? Summer water?

Wondering if I can grow it outside here in my SoCal garden. Trying to do a mesemb based part of my garden like Matt Maggio has done at the Sherman Library in Corona del Mar in Southern CA.

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you found us, Reggie!! I finally saw pix of what Matt did at Sherman Grdns. Fabulous!!

(I've been stuck at your Pinterest boards for the past hour! Yikes!)

• reggie
    11 years ago

Pinning fool, are you??? You might have me beat on the boards here but I have been wasting many many hours on Pinterest. Ha!

Just in case you need to see some more of Sherman Garden's, here is my album of some shots from a few years back. I just went last week again and there have been been some major updates. I have yet to add those to this album. But it should wet your whistle. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherman Garden's Photo Album

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Autumn to winter rain (125 mm per annum) so not massive amounts, grows in autumn, flowers around winter. As for growing outside, Rosemarie and Ryan will be better equipped, my guess would be can take little coldness, but I would stick to near frost-free for outside.

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OooEee, SPLENDID album...I peeked! It will have to wait till I get back from Costco, though. Thanks for the link! As you know, I have not been to Sherman Gardens, but I've seen enough pix to know I have to GO someday!

Yes, a Pinterest fool I've become! I held off getting into it for such a LONG while (addictive as it is), but now can't get away from it. GardenWeb has even gotten into it. :O

I'm sure you'll find yourself at home here, as on the other forum! =)

• growforit
    11 years ago

So would this be an Ihlenfeldia excavata ???

I like plants that stay small but sometimes I wish plants like this would get football size at minium ;-) ;-)

{{gwi:492018}}

Reggiee, those Sherman Gardens photos look amazing - but I quick had to backout cause I realized it's a place I gotta get to, like Rosemarie, and soak it up in person first and then go with this photobook ;-) That glance was a nice catalyst!

• reggie
    11 years ago

Rosemarie...do you have a picture of the tag of the bowl garden? Was wondering whose this is so as to ask them how they care for it. Didn't think of looking at whom it belong to myself. Doh!

• reggie
    11 years ago

Haha growforit. Glad the Sherman Garden's photo album got you intrigued. Are you in CA to actually get to the gardens?

Your photo doesn't look like the plant we saw. Yours looks much biggger. I'm not an ID person but, if I had to guess, it looks more like my Cheiridopsis.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

My guess would be C. denticulata - growforit.

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked through the WHOLE album, Reggie! Fantastic! Gave me lots of ideas! Thanks for the link! I'm sure others will enjoy it as well! =)

John, you have to go back & look!! Ideas for more, like your sidewalk plantings. Good catalyst, I agree! :D As both Reggie & Rian said, I agree, your plant looks like Cheiridopsis denticulata.

Reggie, I did NOT take a photo of the tag for that dish garden. Drat! That was at the point where I'm on overload, my eyes were starting to glaze over & I quit taking pix of tags. Sorry! It looked somewhat similar to what Matt did at the Sherman Grdns, but not so detailed.