Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Leaves on Christmas Cactus? Photos

Posted by puglvr1 9 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 16:10

Hi,

I bought a Christmas Cactus (Nov. 07) that I repotted in a clay pot (2 months ago), gave it a fast draining soil (turface,cactus soil and grit), added some slow release fertilizer to the mix. I have it outside under a palm tree, filtered light, mostly shaded by the tree.

Seems healthy enough, even has a couple of blooms, but loaded with new growths, but the new leaves are pinkish in color. Even though I really like the pink leaves. Know what it might need, or what I may or may not be doing? I have another one but the new growths are light green. Can't figure out what is going on? Any help or explanations is appreciated. Thanks a lot...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Leaves on Christmas Cactus? Photos

Hi Pug,

I think this is a reaction to the stronger light it has gotten since you've moved it outside. Mine (which hangs in a west window & half of which gets direct light) gets this reaction in summer on half its leaves (the half that gets direct light), but on mine, the new growth is purple, not pink. It's consistent, seems to do no harm to the plant & for me, it's just how mine seems to grow in peak summer.

I'd try to give the plant a bit more shade, but otherwise I don't think it's a problem. It looks very happy & healthy & you say it's blooming, right? I though I saw a couple of buds. I'd cut back on the fertilizer; when it's all done blooming hold back on water for abt a month, the plant takes a bit of a rest.

o

Thanks Pirate girl,

I'm glad its not anything bad. Like I said I like the pink leaves, I think its really pretty. Purple leaves would be really pretty too.

Yes, there's only 2 or 3 buds right now. When I bought it over 3 months ago, it was full of buds. But 80% of it fell off, which I fully expected to happen. I will keep an eye on it and put in less light when our weather really starts to heat up. Appreciate it!

o

Hi puglver1
all mine get the pink leaves at this time of year and I don't worry too much about it, seem they do this as the sun get stronger, in the next few weeks I'll move mine to the shade house and they will stay there until late spring

Bear

o

Thanks for the info, gardenbear1. Glad to know it wasn't a negative thing. Extra sun and being outside in the cooler nights, as the reason, that's good to know. Like I said I like the pink leaves, it's funny I have another one I've had for over a year. That one is in the same exact location and gets the same temps, but the new growths are light green. Go figure??

o

It's very attractive!

My CC's a little pink on the sun side, too.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here