Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get an ID please?

Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 16:26

My lady picked up a couple of these from a nursery moving sale and they didn't have tags. In fact, nothing at the nursery had tags which really annoyed the obsessive labeler in me, lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get an ID please?

It is an Aloe aristata hybrid, maybe a gasteraloe with aristata.

o

I believe that is the real deal, Aloe aristata.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 16:13

Thanks all, I'm inclined to go with rosemarie's suggestion. We'll see when they flower.

o

If they start pupping a lot of babies, then it is a hybrid. Aloe aristata is a solitary aloe.That one looks solitary so far. Most ones in the trade are hybrids.

o

Interesting info about it being a solitary Aloe, Mara. The reference book I have, Guide to the Aloes of South Africa, by Van Wyk & Smith, has this for Aloe aristata:

Plants are stemless and usually occur in dense groups of up to 12 rosettes.

The online Aloe site, aloestudies.org, shows pix of groups. I would guess they grew that way from pupping (but maybe from seed?).

o

I am just repeating several growers that have said this on other sites. People a lot more knowledgeable than me . But , yes, it is hearsay and they (and therefor I) could easily be wrong. I always thought that was interesting because most A. aristas that I saw were prolific clumpers. Also maybe there are many natively occurring hybrid strains in the wild. Things get complex out there and I am not the one to bank my reputation on anything I hear .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here