Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Selling Plants

I gather from another posting recently that it is "taboo" to post plants "for sale" in this portion of the forum. I also know there is another area, Members Exchange List, where one can search for people who may want a specific plant. Is there an area where members can post plants for sale and not offend anyone? Thanks for any assistance.

Comments (9)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Good question Doc, I'm guessing Craigslist, LOL... Sorry I couldn't pass that up.

That's a valid question tho, because I've seen post that say something simuliar but it seems to fly, some things that make you emmmm...

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

bd,

No, not at GardenWeb, at least not that I know of - it's Ebay or the aforementioned Craigslist.. But since you're asking, maybe you can shoot me a list of what you've got - you have interesting plants!

• hijole
    12 years ago

Hey Doc, I'm in too, send me a list also, email me please and I'll be a buyer Fosho.

Greg

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Doc: Did you get my PM? I'd like to know what you're selling, too. :)

*CG*

• squishyplant
    12 years ago

I am on the fence about selling plants on the forum. I think what we want to avoid is the people who come out of the woodwork to post and re post and re re post all of the plants they have for sale and links to their websites and so on. The exchange forum should be more active than it is. I'd love to see what everyone would be willing to sell... there have been a few times when I have thought about just making an offer on some of the plants that I've seen grown by the wonderful GW community.
    Another thing to watch out for is bad transactions. I'm sure the folks at GW don't want a bunch of emails about purchases gone wrong. We should be aware that any transaction would be a private one. Only buy from members you know. When that new member pops up with a laundry list of plants to sell and steals everyones money, there will be no way of protecting yourself.
    Perhaps a way to meet in the middle, would be to offer up your "exchange" list and if someone is interested in purchase, they can PM the user. And I'm sure we could all think of a few "wanted" plants to make it an "official" trade list, just not exclusively "exchange".
    As I said before, the exchange forum just doesn't get the traffic. Heck, I looked at it for the first time when it was mentioned in an earlier post.
    I think we should make exchange lists and if you don't have a plant that the person wants, you should PM them about purchase. We just can't list them exclusively for sale.
    There is another forum I participate in that does allow the listing of sale plants. I have bought more than a few from many different users on there and always been very happy with my orders.
    Matthew.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the interest. I agree whole heartedly with Matthew. I am not interested in making this a business or using this forum as my private "store front". But we all frequent this portion of the site more than, say, the Cactus Gallery. Like many of you, each year we seem to have more of whatever it is we have and would like to sell, exchange or trade. I know there is that portion of the site but it isn't in "our faces" and being "out of site, out of mind" doesn't serve any of us in a positive way. I agree that many of us have "interesting plants" that others would enjoy. This is one of the major joys in my life when I can share. Thanks CactusMcharris for thinking my stuff is interesting, but it isn't any more or less than anyone else's. So here is my email and I welcome trades, sales, etc. I will post pictures from time to time. And again thanks for chiming in.

Howard
    lasserh@hotmail.com

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Yes, Matthew stated the problem quite well. Perhaps a post on this forum that you've listed plants on the Exchange forum would let us know to go look at your "have" photos there and we can zoom over there to take a look. They would be out of sight, but not out of mind.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you who are interested, I posted a list of things that I should have this summer on my plant trade list. Not sure how you access it but you guys/gals are smart and will figure it out in short order.... :-)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

It's accessed the same way you posted it Doc, I went to your Member Page, then clicked on "Plants to Trade" & took a look. Looks like just the thing to have done.