Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joscience

Aloe squarrosa in bloom

joscience
15 years ago

As far as Aloes go, this one really isn't too impressive. Honestly, I only have one because it is endemic to Socotra, and I am trying to put together a collection of Socotran plants. This is one of the easier species to find, and certainly one of the easiest to keep. The bloom is nice, but nothing too special...

{{gwi:493081}}

Pretty colors, and a nice form.

{{gwi:493082}}

It didn't really look much different than this even after the flowers opened.

{{gwi:493083}}

My little clump is currently in a plain ol' pot. I want to make some sort of faux-cliff face to stage them in/on.

Comments (8)

• minime8484
    15 years ago

Awesome pic!

I've only got one Aloe spp (Medicinal) in my yard, so just love to see other spp out there.
    The DBG in Phoenix has an amazing section of their gardens dedicated to the aloes.

Great flowers! Even if they aren't too impressive to you! = )

Cheers,
    Tristan

• joscience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I certainly don't mean to detract from the "simpler" Aloes out there. I've just seen a lot of stunning Aloes the last couple month, all of which make this little guy seem pretty plain!

{{gwi:493084}}

{{gwi:493085}}

{{gwi:469649}}

{{gwi:493086}}

{{gwi:493087}}

{{gwi:493088}}

{{gwi:493089}}

{{gwi:493090}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Well, yeah, those other aloes are a tough act to follow...! ;)

Great pics, Jo!

Josh

• blutarski
    15 years ago

I've got to move to where my aloes will bloom

• Denise
    15 years ago

Blutarski - you can get them to bloom about anywhere. Not all species, mind you, because some have to be very large and old to bloom. I've got a very large old marlothii that will probably never bloom for me, but the smaller ones bloom without much effort. A. nobilis blooms for me pretty much every year...
    {{gwi:493091}}

A. vera bloomed for me last year...
    {{gwi:493092}}

And the little ones, like jucunda, humilis, and the little hybrids bloom pretty reguarly. They just need enough light and to be summered outside.

But there's nothing quite like the photos of the huge Aloes grown in the ground. They ARE stunning!

Denise in Omaha

• joscience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Josh: For ten months out of the year, I think Aloes are pretty boring. Some of the more exotic species and hybrids are interesting, but all the rest just look too similar for me. However come winter when they are in bloom, they put most other plants to shame! I've said it before, but I really should start growing more of them. Do you have any Aloes? or are you a Jade man through and through?

Blutarski: Blooming them is nice, but not having to move them in for winter is even nicer! ;-) Lots of houses for sale around here!

Denise: Nice flowers! I love the really long peduncle on each flower of the nobilis. Very interesting...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Hey, Jo!
    Sorry I missed this!
    "Josh: Do you have any Aloes? or are you a Jade man through and through?"

I do actually have two Aloes, one of which I received only two weeks ago. The first is a very generic Aloe from my sister that I've had for about a year and a half. It froze this winter and last, but thankfully a pup from the middle of the container survived both freezes! The other Aloe is A. nobilis...now I'm excited, seeing the blooms in the pics above.

I have Christmas Cacti, Portulacaria afra, and even an Euphorbia (a gift that came with the A. nobilis). But I really am a Jade man for the most part. ;)

Josh

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

thanks for the pics Jo. You know what I really like about the Huntington?..they plant their xeric plants almost shoulder to shoulder.Any other botanical garden keep plants widely spaced to give it the desert look. The big H plants like I do- only,over a hundred acres though. Almost every one of your photos has a dozen great plants-even the closeups.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County