Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sowngrow

Lithops love!

sowngrow (8a)
10 years ago

First of these I've owned. Found them at H. Depot a couple weeks ago. They fascinate me! The Argyroderma testicularae is beginning to bloom; now let's hope I can keep them alive. :-)

Comments (7)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Nice plants. The Pleiospilos is a bit tolerant of water, but the Lithops is unforgiving. Months of complete dryness in a mineral base extends their life, they seem almost allergic to water. No water until the old leaves are absorbed.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay-thanks for the tips. I can't believe how quickly the old leaves are receding. Sometimes it's difficult to see a change in my succulents so I didn't expect this. The stem of the flower on the Argyroderma testicularae isn't real sturdy as the blossom is beginning to open. Is that any indication that it needs water? Thank you Dzitmoidonc!

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought this photo would help explain what I mean about the stem of the flower. It's not upright, but leaning on the plant.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Just a tiny correction. If you bought the plant labeled as Argyroderma testiculare, it ain't. Pretty sure it is a Pleiospilos. The former is shiny with red/pink flowers, the latter is dimpled with yellow flowers. The care is about the same.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh-that's my poor i.d.ing. Thanks for the clarification. The label on the pot it came in, just said: "Stone Faces, Lithops species."

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I'd like to add that you have 4 different Lithops seedlings in that pot, looks like L. lesliei or aucampiae. If you leave them growing close together in that small pot, you may be able to keep them alive for a year but eventually the taproots will become potbound, corky, unhappy. The plants will atrophy and never reach potential.

Springtime is the perfect time to transplant Lithops, right as they begin to wake up for the real growing season. I would recommend you carefully separate the plants and pot them together in a 4" pot. I also recommend researching soil mix for mesembs as they tend to prefer a different mix than the fast-draining stuff other succulents will grow in.

If you really like Lithops, you have to experiment with them and be comfortable with losing a few. You might lose one or all if you attempt what I'm recommending, BUT, it's the only way to grow them long-term. If you wait a year and then attempt a repot, the plants will be much more settled into their constricted form and more difficult to revive. What you have there are 4 fresh seedlings, probably 2 yrs. old, ready for a fresh start. Give them some room to stretch out and they'll thank you for it.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, will pot them up! I was wondering how they would manage all clumped together so closely, but then again I tend to see pictures of lithops packed together often. Thanks for the heads up, Ryan!

Robin