Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Agave vilmoriniana

Posted by logan33 z6 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 17:04

Need help with this large Agave vilmoriniana. It has gotten very top heavy and has a length of stem where it has lost some of it's older leaves over the years. I usually pot my succulents in rather shallow pots but was wondering if I could use a deeper pot and bury the stem up to closer to where the leaves begin. I think it might look better and definitely would help me keep it upright. I hate to have to lean a larger plant against something just to keep it from toppling over. I just don't want to do this without asking first because I wouldn't want to cause the stem to rot. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Agave vilmoriniana

Agaves get a good root system going. I put them in a deeper pot. I only keep them in pots until they are large enough to go outside. This is a large growing agave. I can't imagine growing it in a pot inside. This is out of my league or zonal experience. I have only the experience of growing agaves this size outside. I imagine that one could burry it deeper as long as the crown is all above. That is a far ranging agave when it is happy. Arms flung out all over the place.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 21:41

Rocks to support the stem rather than potting media, no matter how gritty, might be better. Also try to correct the cultural practices that is causing it to lose leaves.

o

Thanks to both of you for your help. That's what I'll do, put it in a deeper pot but the top couple of inches can be rocks for support. Yes it is a big sprawly agave but thats why I like it even for inside... it's not my biggest agave. It'd be nice to be able to have them outside but I only have a couple of agaves that are hardy enough for that. I'll try hoovb ;)

o

Logan, I'm not very experienced with this Agave, but when my Agave (pictured) gets "leggy", I remove all the bottom dead leaves, whack off the bottom leaving enough to plant and I have a new plant. The picture presented here of my Agave was cut this past summer. I will have 3 or 4 years before the bottom dies out and the pot is filled with roots and I will repeat the process.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks Bikerdoc, good to know. It looks great. I wouldn't have wanted to whack off all of the roots it had grown but the stem pretty readily reroots it seems.

o

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of what I do, but when I re-pot my Agave, I remove all of the old roots and lower leaves exposing the new stem. I cut off all of the lower stem leaving just enough to replant; about 3" or 4". I then allow it to callus for at least 10 days or longer before re-potting. Like other succulents, new roots grow and the plant looks much better and seems to have a nicer head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here