Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tradescantia 'Red Hill'

Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 17:18

Exotic Angel is distributing a couple of different plants under this name. This one looks like T. pallida but with somewhat hairy leaves and stems; the flowers are much smaller as well. Any help will be appreciated. Yale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tradescantia 'Red Hill'

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:59

Posting this photo of T. 'Red Hill' leaves; with short hair, purple undersurface, and about 2.5 inches long. (A plant close to T. zebrina is also distributed by Exotic Angel as T. 'Red Hill'). Yale

o

Yale,
Can't answer your specific question, but I too, have found Exotic Angel Plants questionable in their assignment of botanical names. Case in point is Rhipsalis...over the years I've bought four or five plants all with different names that turned out to be the same species! Not sure what this says about me ;-)

o

I have never put much stock into Exotic Angel's naming of plants. I haven't hard of this Tradescantia before, Yale, but love the bloom color!

o

This plant had the same label. It looks like a cross between T. zebrina and T. pallida, if that's possible...?

o

Noticed 2 flowers were open a few minutes ago. Definitely looks like the same mystery plant.

o

Here is the reverse side of the leaves. Can't wait to see what the leaves do in different exposures this summer. Have not had this one long.

o

Looks like it's going to bloom on most of these branches. Do you think it's the same plant as yours, Yale?

o

I think I found its' proper name, T. cerinthoides AKA blossfeldiana.

o

Fantastic!

Josh

o

TY, I hope OP see this. Curious for his/her opinion too. Do you have any Trads Josh? They don't get much attention on here as "proper succulents." Too fast-growing, house-plant-y for most?

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 15:36

I like the id from purpleinopp for this plant; many thanks. The photo may be of T. fluminensis, but have not had it flower and it has a non-variegate branch developing. Yale

o

Yes I agree. I found some like that this summer too, with the pretty pink hues. Hope it blooms in the spring to see if the flowers are white. Have you seen this guy bloom? The plants at the store had reversions too, plain green, much more vigorous shoots from the same stems. I put it in the ground thinking it would grow faster, but it's super slow.

o

Found this today. Oddly SMALL! ??

o

The plant I pictured last is Cyanotis somaliensis. IDK what the heck the problem is at EA with their labels, but this one took a while to figure out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here