Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will07_gw

Orchid cactus question

Will07
10 years ago

I posted last fall about whether or not I should bring my epi in for the winter because it looked like death or leave it to die and someone said it looked fine so I reluctantly brought it inside and it has hung in my basement with some grow lights for other plants nearby. It started to look better but now the tips are shooting out thin and narrow (assuming due to not enough light) and are starting to grow roots. My question is, what should I do between now and When I can put it back outside? It will probably be another 3 months before I can put it back outside. I have no other place to bring it to with more light so it has to stay where it is.

Comments (3)

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Your Epic is ill from the end tips of leaves to innner pot it'll take at least two years to get it back into productive growth for flowering

Try rooting some cuttings if you want it, or think about a donation to the plant whisperer.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

One thing you can do is cool it off. If this plant is kept around 40F to 50F at night, it grows almost not at all. I put mine out as soon as nights remain above freezing. I have a sheltered spot where it stays, a little bit protected from frost, but I have a sheet I can throw over them if it approaches freezing.

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I did take a cutting from this one a couple years ago and it's doing much better than this one.