Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

look at what I found at lowes

kuroc
10 years ago

I found this planter at lowes today for about 16 dollars. The only problem is that it has those rocks glued on top of the soil that I'm going to have to take off to repot them.

Comments (15)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

And the fake flowers (you know they're fake, right), glued on which you'd probably want to remove as well. Some folks around here call them Glufers.

We try not to buy them in the hope (futile I know) that if they don't sell, folks won't glue on the rocks & the fake flowers.

Also, the 2 taller plants in the back are Euphorbias, so pls. take precautions in handling them. If you're new to these plants & don't know what I'm referring to, pls. wear gloves while handling ALL of these plants & read up on potential for skin irritiation from sap of numerous Euphorbias. Just so you know.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't worry I know all about euphorbias. It's one of my favorite genus. :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

So if you know 'all' about Euphorbias, what's the sap's antidote?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Serious question - do you think the sap irritates everyone, or just people who are allergic? Like poison ivy. I don't take chances, but I have a reason for asking.

I pulled up a bunch of Euphorbias (didn't know what they were at the time) and had the milky sap all over my arms and was wiping sweat from my brow with those same arms. My neighbor came over - he's a botanist - and said I was going to be in trouble because the sap was toxic. I finished up and then took a shower. I had no reaction to the sap.

As a side note, I can try to decorate a "real' tree for Christmas and have a rash everywhere that touches the tree. And after Hurricane Charley, I carried palm fronds over my shoulder and had a rash from my neck to my waist.

So I'm wondering if I was lucky or the shower did the trick? My soap was Zest - which is nothing special.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Crenda,
    That's an interesting question. I've never dealt with the sap myself (I'm allergic to all sorts of stuff already...), but my Mom formed a blister on her arm after she got some on her skin.

Planto

• dirt_farmer
    10 years ago

crenda,
    That sap may vary plant to plant.
    An analogy could be made of bell peppers. Some green bell peppers are hot and some red peppers are mild.
    I would definitely not get a false sense of security around them. It might be that luck was there. As for the shower I would think water and soap is great for neutralizing plant toxins with the exception of poison ivy.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know the saps antidote. I think it's another plant but not sure. Because I've never had a problem with it. I know to wash my hands after handing one and not to get the sap in my eyes. Because it can cause blindness and burning.
    If you get it in your eyes you might have to go to the emergency room.

Also what I have is a euphorbia trigona red right?

This post was edited by kuroc on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 2:41

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Good points, all. Now that I am a "little" smarter with my plants I am careful to avoid any sap. Knowing what I have is the first step. And I find a nice shower takes care of a lot of woes. ;)

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

The rocks and fake flowers aren't that big of a deal. Both can be fairly easily removed. The real problem is that you paid too much for the collection box.. :P

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

The rocks and fake flowers aren't that big of a deal. Both can be fairly easily removed. The real problem is that you paid too much for the collection box.. :P

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

When I go to lowes, they have crested euphorbias in the glued rock containers for astronomical prices.......no way will I ever buy them, and fakecactus flowers make me wanna hurl

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I found that Head N Shoulders as a body wash takes care of many problems like poison Ivy. I used to get that a lot until I started to use Head N shoulders. It worked on Euphorbia sap as well. I had some in my eyes after working on some hardy types in my yard and even after washing my hands, rubbed my eyes hours latter. My face was all red and my eyes almost shut. Took a cold shower with the Head n shoulders and it was gone in seconds. I hope it works for every one. I know it does for me.
    And who hasn't hear of getting a better deal after you buy something. I say, go for it and enjoy it. It wasn't that much and I do like the plants given. Have fun.
    Stush

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the Euphorbia sap/milky latex.

I chopped down a very large E. tirucalli & had sap all over me (& my sis, who helped). Neither of us had any probs with it. It is tricky to get off your skin & more so your clothing (best to toss them after--I advise to wear rags!) We found Goo Gone helped remove it from our skin. It was similar to getting paint on yourself-if you let it dry, it was harder to remove.

I would not tell anyone to ignore the warnings just because my sis & I fared better than others.

As for the glufers & glued rocks, I try to avoid them & complain to the store/nursery.

• caligrown
    10 years ago

A word of caution...

You may be able to come into contact with Euporbias sap today without any ill effects. This does not automatically mean you wont have a severe reaction the next day. Humans as well as many other animals can develop allergies overnight. Regardless of your past experiences, its always best treat Euphorbias as if you will have a reaction to their sap.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My favorites out of the planter are the fairy castle cactus and the royal red trigonas.